diet

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have a weird body. My gut sticks out. just the way I'm built. Plus, when I start putting on weight its all in my gut. I look like a young freakish beardless santa, with a gut considerably bigger than my wife's 7.5mo preggo-belly. skinny arms, & legs with what appears to be a hardcore beer gut (though I rarely drink) and a pert A-cup rack. When I got out of boot camp in JAN 2005 I weighed 145lbs, which was a healthy weight for me (5' 9"). For the first and last time in my life I had a little fledgling 6-pack. but my 6-pack still protruded out past my chest. Since I got out of boot camp, I've gained and lost weight here and there, depending on the type of work I'm doing, but averaged about 5lb gain every year until 2010, when I started to lose control of my weight. I've gained 20lbs in the past year. 90% of the clothes in my closet don't fit, so any given week, you'll see me wear the same clothes twice. I've already had my company re-order my uniforms to fit my new waist size, but even they don't fit now. It painful to tuck my shirt in. I know I still have a 6-pack in there; as of a few months ago, I could still feel it if I pushed my fingers real hard into my fat.

So, I decided to start a diet. As is my normal approach to things, I didn't do a whole lot of research, just made up a plan and went with it. If/when things don't work out, I'll start researching why, and revise my plan. so, here's my plan: I want to shed all this fat & get lean, then build my upper body (chest) up with muscle, enough so it sticks out past my gut and makes me look somewhat normal, if not a little buff.
It's called the Strantor diet. It's loosely based on the low carb fad diets (zone, atkins, south beach). I'm eating zero carbs and not exercising for now. I will keep counting (0) carbs until I hit my target weight (145) or I plateau. Then I will go on a balanced diet (counting calories) and do cardio until I get "fit" - i.e. not flabby, and healthy. Then I'm going on a high protein diet and lift weights; try to get my weight back up (maybe 165, 170?), but in muscle, not lard.
So, thats the plan and its not based on any good research or anything, so it is subject to change.

I started out last sunday @ 191lbs. I weighed in today (actually yesterday, 8hrs ago while it was still sunday) and I was at 179. 12lbs in a week! That's like 2 whole babies (or maybe 1 and a fraction of big babies)! I hope (wishful thinking) that I can keep up that pace; this might all happen faster than I was expecting.

I have attached a photo of my gut (taken last sunday, in the very moment that I decided to diet) in comparison to my wife's preggo belly for your entertainment.

Attachments

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Strantor. My Wifes sugestions, you need controlled carbs (fruit or basmarti rice). Stay away from potatoes white bread sugar cakes. If you dont take any carbs your body will use up your muscles. You need to do core muscle exersizes. My wife lost 90Kgs (I weigh 75KG) in 3 years & it was hard work as her over weight was going to KILL her. Stick with it. The wife still battles to keep the weight off & has to watch what she eats. Me i just never vary weight wise.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hi Strantor. My Wifes sugestions, you need controlled carbs (fruit or basmarti rice). Stay away from potatoes white bread sugar cakes. If you dont take any carbs your body will use up your muscles. You need to do core muscle exersizes. My wife lost 90Kgs (I weigh 75KG) in 3 years & it was hard work as her over weight was going to KILL her. Stick with it. The wife still battles to keep the weight off & has to watch what she eats. Me i just never vary weight wise.
Wow! congratulations to your wife! that is quite a feat! I know a lot of people who would not even try.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Strantor. How far away from your workplace do you live?

Do you go by car? I found it hard to go to the fitness center every day so I decided to just walk the 5km till the next bus stop or go by bicycle the 13km to my workplace.
I didn't have a belly like yours when I decided to do so but still, in a matter of three months I lost the weight I wanted to. You shouldn't be eating right before and after this "exercise" though.

Good luck

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have considered riding a bike to & from work for my "cardio phase" - its about 5 miles (8km) one way. Only problem is that I have to ride through some pretty seedy neighborhoods in the dark, and one long stretch of road that people treat like the Audubon in rush hour, with no sidewalk and no bike lane.
Still considering it though; I might try it once and see if its as bad as I think it will be.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Read the relatively new book "Wheat Belly" by Dr William R. Davis. A good explanation of what you got and some real solutions. Unless you're just pregnant too.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have considered riding a bike to & from work for my "cardio phase" - its about 5 miles (8km) one way. Only problem is that I have to ride through some pretty seedy neighborhoods in the dark, and one long stretch of road that people treat like the Audubon in rush hour, with no sidewalk and no bike lane.
Still considering it though; I might try it once and see if its as bad as I think it will be.
Just think of the "seedy" part as a 'spin' class:)

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
As a cyclist myself, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially with children. I've been "lucky" so far, just one broken bone and a couple of trips to the hospital. I've had plenty of things thrown at me including a firework. I was shot at once, but only with an air pistol, it Texas it could be much worse.
If you are thinking about doing it at night make sure you are lit up like a Christmas tree, but still assume that no-one can see you, because a lot of time they aren't looking.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Who of you is the pregnant one? :D

After years of keeping the weight at 63.5Kg, I've found my way. I do not eat after 18:00. If I'm dying of hunger, I take a glass of water.

Happy dieting.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Off-Topic 43