di pole antenna, how to connect it and make one?

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
I'm looking at antennas, Ive looked at crystal sets, the antenna is mono , so I cant figure it for a di pole. do you use a ground? how is a di pole made?

I'm thinking of making a di pole out of coax, you need to wires going to the centre then both go down to a FEED point, but I don't know what a feed point is here, you have two wires at the feed point , is one just going to ground, or is it a loop going through the radio?

how does an end feed wok?

any help is basic because I'm a bit of a less techy guy

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
It depends on many things. An antenna installation is usually a trade off. A submarine might have an antenna 11 miles long. A walkie talkie might be 6 inches.
The first question is .....what is the frequency that you are talking about?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Your asking questions that have many answers. It would take a text book.

What kind of antenna? Center fed or end fed? WHAT FREQUENCY? What type and how long is feed line?

ALL of the details are important and can change the answer that your looking for.

One can feed a dipole with a low impedance feed-line or a high impedance feed line.

For a balanced antenna, I prefer an open feed-line, but others prefer coax.

The impedance difference between the antenna and feed-line will determine the coupling device.

SO......have you any details? One answer doesn't work for all antennas.

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
thx guys, I can work with that. I'm planning buying a radio, but I have limited space, so looking into antenna. the vertical info was especially worth asking this thread, and the feed goes to ground, so I'm glad I asked

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
A grounded vertical is a lot different than a dipole. A vertical without a properly configured ground plane.....can radiate at a high angle.......reducing line of site strength.

For some frequency bands this is good and needed.....and in other applications this is not wanted and limits range.