Device Identification

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The only other thing I can think of is a receiver for navigation beacons which identify themselves with Morse Code. But the 90 cm antenna would be a half-wave antenna at 166.67 MHz or a quarter wave at 83 MHz. which does not correspond to a band where I would expect a navigation aid (108-118 MHz.). But you mentioned push to talk so why would you need a Morse code chart on a device with a push-to-talk button? I guess that means it could be a walkie-talkie.

Freeman Dom

Joined Dec 2, 2021
The only other thing I can think of is a receiver for navigation beacons which identify themselves with Morse Code. But the 90 cm antenna would be a half-wave antenna at 166.67 MHz or a quarter wave at 83 MHz. which does not correspond to a band where I would expect a navigation aid (108-118 MHz.). But you mentioned push to talk so why would you need a Morse code chart on a device with a push-to-talk button? I guess that means it could be a walkie-talkie.
I still can not make clear difference between the Talkie-Walki and the MCPO as you explained, I just know that the Energy Supply must be 9 volt and the Speaker Impedence must be 8 ohm as shown in this Photo.

Attachments

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Having used, modified and abused many of those in the past, it is definitely an walkie-talkie. The speaker doubles as a microphone and a single transistor RF stage doubles as both a regenerative detector and a crystal controlled transmitter. It once had a whip antenna.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The first one in the catalog that @Yaakov posted looks strangely familiar...
1638981862602.png

For young people: $19.75 a pair might seem cheap by today's prices, but back when this catalog was probably published, it was a major purchase, if memory serves, almost equal to a week's groceries for a small family or several tanks of gasoline (@ US$0.29 per gallon).

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The first one in the catalog that @Yaakov posted looks strangely familiar...
View attachment 254567

For young people: $19.75 a pair might seem cheap by today's prices, but back when this catalog was probably published, it was a major purchase, if memory serves, almost equal to a week's groceries for a small family or several tanks of gasoline (@ US$0.29 per gallon).
A 1973 dollar had about $6.23 purchasing power compared to current dollars, so about $123.04 for a pair. Of course electronics are far cheaper now and the same basic item today would probably be about the price in the catalog!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
It's an old school walkie talkie, one of the loves of my youth
Agreed. Lots of toy walkie talkies had the ability to talk or send morse code like a secret agent or to keep your gross sister and her friends from listening in. At 100mw, they didn't go far but loads of fun anyway. Certainly the Boy Scouts but also many other civic organizations encouraged some facility in Morse Code as a Civil Defense measure - communicate from the bomb shelter or some such postwar/cold war skills. Electrically, the code key just keyed the transmitter and pushed the audio amp into oscillation for the tone.

Freeman Dom

Joined Dec 2, 2021
Okay, Thank you so much for your help, so it's about a 1973 Talkie-Walkie, surely I have a lot to learn about RF and RLC Circuits.