Developed a 2.4GHz VNA - seeking comments, beta testers

micwurm

Joined Mar 1, 2018
Hi there,

I developed a USB-based 2-port VNA for 2.2-2.7 GHz, initially for antenna tuning applications.
The device actually turned out surprisingly well and may have more general uses.

An introduction of the project is here:
https://annalyza.com/intro.html

I am trying to figure out if there is a demand for a product like this (the price point might be around $500), and what would be a minimum feature set to be usable for other applications.

Antenna tuning is pretty much covered with these features:
S11 and S21 with short-open-load-thru (SOLT) calibration (the hardware can do S22 and S12 also, but the software not yet), Smith chart, Magnitude/Phase chart, matching circuit simulator, trace capture and relative measurement.

I also have a few prototypes if somebody has a project that could benefit from this device and is willing to do some beta-testing.

Thanks,
Michael

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
It would be more interesting to have a circuitry here, let people who are not "inhabitants of North America" may build it.

micwurm

Joined Mar 1, 2018
Bertus,
Thanks for the links. I'll definitely have a closer look on the weekend.
I know that the bandwidth of my device is a serious limitation. I personally do a lot of stuff related to the 2.4GHz ISM band and I imagine that I am not the only one. I tried to keep cost and complexity down, also to avoid that I lose interest half way through development.
I think this project/product could be useful for hobbyists and students who are working on some kind of RF project and need to use an inexpensive VNA that works right out of the box, and not necessarily people who want to build one (Who builds their own oscilloscope and voltmeter?).
Janis: The North America requirement for the prototype is because I don't have time to figure out worldwide regulatory requirements (CE, etc) quite yet. I suppose for prototypes it wouldn't be a big deal though.

Michael