Determining Current Through A Coil After Passage Of Magnet

positive8

Joined Sep 27, 2016
Use upload a file.
coil.jpg

Here we go. Nothing too exciting. A 500-turn coil in an acrylic tube with electrical leads. Cylindrical neodymium magnets can be seen to the upper left and right. The tube is detachable from the rest of the apparatus so it can be re-configured with differently-sized coils, etc. Different strength of magnets are also used.

positive8

Joined Sep 27, 2016
I suspect the amp meter is too slow. Why just throw on a resistive load, use the scope to capture the voltage and calculate the current.
I'll do that. My concern was that I was missing out on some element of induction theory that would cause a significant reduction in current. It's a little unnerving to have all this instrumentation and not see anything.
But, yes, next step, attach a resistive load....................thanks!

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

If you could attach an arm or two and motor you can get the magnet to pump back and forth like a piston and get constant readings. You can then vary the speed too. Might be a little trouble to do though.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Digital meters have a response time which may well be too long and analogue meters use eddy current damping to stop the needle swinging back and forth and so also have a significant response time. An oscilloscope also has a response time but even the most modest 'scope will be way, way, faster than than the meters. A load resistor and the 'scope is the way to go.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A load resistor and the 'scope is the way to go.
I agree with this approach, if you have the 'scope. A data acquisition setup that could capture the pulse would be another option. My "peak detector" suggestion above is the poor man's solution. You'll lose all information about the shape of the pulse and get only the integrated result.