determine direction of current

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by antiantianti, Dec 2, 2016.

1. antiantianti

Thread Starter Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Hi
    I was solving a circuit using kirchhoff rules and i actually usually make mistakes with the direction of the current so i get wrong answers . Like for example ,i was solving this problem and when i checked the solution i saw that i draw the current in the wrong direction .
    In the circuit they are resistors that dont have the same value and a voltage source and the queston is actually to find Uab
    Please can you give me advice to draw current directions currently because i dont know how
    thank you

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
  2. drc_567

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 29, 2008
    You start off making an assumption for each branch or loop. ... doesn't matter what it is. If the numerical result from the calculations is positive, that particular assumption is correct. If your numerical result is negative, then you reverse the assumed direction.
    ... To make it easier to understand, assume or call voltage sources 'a rise', and the other components. 'a drop' ... Where the sum of everything around a particular loop is always zero.
    ...maybe the video clip here will be more instructive:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. antiantianti

Thread Starter Member

Aug 4, 2016
    are you sure that I get the same answer only with a reversed sign ? sometimes i get wrong answers

4. drc_567

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 29, 2008
    ... better to locate a good example problem with a proven answer.

5. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    Check your arithmetic if you're getting the wrong answers.

Regarding your question of how to assign current directions in your original post. That comes from experience. If you assume an incorrect direction, you get a negative current.