Desing an experiment with PSSE software

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
Hi
In the power system integration lab we are asked to design three experiments using PSSE software.
The experiments should be in three of many topics related to power systems like:
Power system flow analysis
Power system dynamics
Economic dispatch
and other topics.
I don't know that much about power systems, I understand some topics related to power flow, short circuit analysis, stability analysis and economic dispatch.
But that is not the problem, I can learn more, but the problem is that I don't know where to start and what to search for.
Note: The objective of the experiments is to study the effect of some factors and changes on power systems.
Please help!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Can you provide a link to a description of "PSSE software". The design of experiments should be based on what you know and what you would like to find out. My guess is that this exercise is only about asking a question, postulating an answer based on your current state of knowledge, and then confirming the result or discovering that your initial analysis was flawed. This is just an application of the "Scientific Method".

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
Can you provide a link to a description of "PSSE software". The design of experiments should be based on what you know and what you would like to find out. My guess is that this exercise is only about asking a question, postulating an answer based on your current state of knowledge, and then confirming the result or discovering that your initial analysis was flawed. This is just an application of the "Scientific Method".
I don't know what description you are asking for, but this is the official site of the software:
http://w3.siemens.com/smartgrid/glo...software/planning-simulation/Pages/PSS-E.aspx

What I need is questions to be asked.
For example: what is the affect of adding capacitor banks to regulate voltages and how to trade off between voltage regulation and capacitor banks cost(If a trade off can be done)?

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know what description you are asking for, but this is the official site of the software:
http://w3.siemens.com/smartgrid/glo...software/planning-simulation/Pages/PSS-E.aspx

What I need is questions to be asked.
For example: what is the affect of adding capacitor banks to regulate voltages and how to trade off between voltage regulation and capacitor banks cost(If a trade off can be done)?
I want to have some idea of what PSSE software is since I am not familiar with it. I could "google" it, but that might potentially send me off in non-productive directions. Asking for a link seemed like the most efficient method. You have the right idea about questions to ask, now you just have to follow through.

EDIT: So PSSE is planning and simulation software for power transmission systems. Assuming you can quickly translate problem statements like the one above into a suitable model you should be able to do what you want to do.

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
I want to have some idea of what PSSE software is since I am not familiar with it. I could "google" it, but that might potentially send me off in non-productive directions. Asking for a link seemed like the most efficient method. You have the right idea about questions to ask, now you just have to follow through.

EDIT: So PSSE is planning and simulation software for power transmission systems. Assuming you can quickly translate problem statements like the one above into a suitable model you should be able to do what you want to do.
I need more questions to ask since I have to submit 3 experiments and my adviser should decide if they satisfy the goals he is looking for.
And just to be clear:
"Asking for a link seemed like the most efficient method."
Is this a sarcastic expression or not?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
And just to be clear:
"Asking for a link seemed like the most efficient method."
Is this a sarcastic expression or not?
No absolutely not. Doing a google search on a set of initials is quite likely to return an ambiguous set of results depending on the number of things represented by those initials. I suppose I could have sifted through those results and made an educated guess about what you were talking about. I sincerely thought it would be better for all concerned for you to explicitly define what you were referring to. I had no intention to offend you or anyone else.

Turns out I need not have worried. It is definitely the top Google hit.