Designing a Language Quantum Compatable

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
A high level language would not need to reflect this, since a quibit, once measured, is just a bit. It's only in superposition when nobody's looking at it, once they do look at it, it takes on a definite 0 or 1 value.

Obviously someone designing a quantum computer needs to be aware of its quantum nature, ensure that all gates are reversible (i.e., Toffoli gates), allow quibits to entangle, etc. But all of these details can be safely abstracted away in a high-level programming language with absolutely no constructs for quantum computation.
What you have stated here is true as far as the way you have deceided the use and structure of language for a limited use of what a Quantum Computer can do.

Now again...this is not my field of expertise but I am very interested in it and as I stated my friend is a programmer second to none. As I have him doing a 2.3 upgrade on some custom programming he wrote for me I have been seeing him daily and I have been picking his mind about this although I know he is holding back to a certain degree given who he works for now and then.

I talked to him about the entanglement issue as far as what can be done with it and he said it goes way beyond using it for 0 or 1 or indeterminate value...it can also be used in a way to write instantanious programing to fill a need specific to a value and what that value may be.

Thus it is possible as you posted that we could write a language to LOOK AT a quibits value and thus have the programming to reflect where we go from there.

What he is telling me...Mothman...is that type of use for such a system is not taking advantage of many greater capabilitites and capacities inherent to such a systems indeterminant advantages in computation.

Split Infinity

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
What you have stated here is true as far as the way you have deceided the use and structure of language for a limited use of what a Quantum Computer can do.

Now again...this is not my field of expertise but I am very interested in it and as I stated my friend is a programmer second to none. As I have him doing a 2.3 upgrade on some custom programming he wrote for me I have been seeing him daily and I have been picking his mind about this although I know he is holding back to a certain degree given who he works for now and then.

I talked to him about the entanglement issue as far as what can be done with it and he said it goes way beyond using it for 0 or 1 or indeterminate value...it can also be used in a way to write instantanious programing to fill a need specific to a value and what that value may be.

Thus it is possible as you posted that we could write a language to LOOK AT a quibits value and thus have the programming to reflect where we go from there.

What he is telling me...Mothman...is that type of use for such a system is not taking advantage of many greater capabilitites and capacities inherent to such a systems indeterminant advantages in computation.

Split Infinity
Could "my" programming language implement Shor's algorithm? Yes. Grover's algorithm? Yes. Efficiently simulate quantum mechanics? Yes. I'm not aware of quantum computers having any other known capabilities. I'm sure more quantum algorithms will be discovered, but in what way would they have to be different from the existing known ones that they couldn't be implemented in a high level language lacking special, quantum constructs? Beats me.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Could "my" programming language implement Shor's algorithm? Yes. Grover's algorithm? Yes. Efficiently simulate quantum mechanics? Yes. I'm not aware of quantum computers having any other known capabilities. I'm sure more quantum algorithms will be discovered, but in what way would they have to be different from the existing known ones that they couldn't be implemented in a high level language lacking special, quantum constructs? Beats me.
I think what he was trying to describe to me is how it is possible in a Quantum System for such Quanta to have two or more functions. Since the determined values are only so once we have Looked At them...they are indeterminant before so.

This opens up many options and possibilities specific to such a Quantum System calculating at unbelievable speeds and thus being capable of doing so to solve problems using multiple self determined Languages that would be written by such a system at that moment.

Split Infinity

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
Look up Los Alamos national lab some time, they have had a quantum computer for a few years now. http://qso.lanl.gov/qc/
Having a quantum computer now-a-days isn't much of a feat, it's been done more than a decade with NMR. Scaling it to a number of qubits so that it's useful, though, is an unsolved challenge (D-Wave's claims aside). And unfortunately, that means not even Los Alamos has a quantum computer with a reasonable number of qubits.

There was this announcement: http://www.dailywireless.org/2013/05/07/los-alamos-were-quantum-too/ earlier this year, but that's a quantum communication network, which isn't a general purpose quantum computer. It can transmit information that can't, even in theory, be observed or tampered with without the recipient being made aware of it, but it can't implement an arbitrary quantum algorithm.