designing a control/power box

Caus-i-can

Joined Jul 19, 2017
Hi All,
I am trying to make a power box i have a design in mind and was hoping to get some imput from everyone wether
1) it is safe 2)its not just guna toast all my equipment
i will post picture of my design.. thanks in advance for all advice and or help
mark

power box_Caus-i-can.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suggest a fuse someplace in the line towards the 9 volt wall wart. Presently that section is fused at 10 amps. On the other side there is no clue as to how much power that motor and drive require. And the location of the E-Stop for a motor controller and motor combination depends on a number of things. But seldom is an emergency stop placed between the controller and the motor, because at that point it is breaking the actual motor load current, often not a wise choice.

Caus-i-can

Joined Jul 19, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

So would a 1amp fuse suffice before wall wart its only rated at 30ma

the Controller is rated at 180-260 volts ac in

the 180 volt dc motor uses under full load approx max 8 amps the most ive seen it up to is 6
(the controller has led display for volts and amps)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

So would a 1amp fuse suffice before wall wart its only rated at 30ma

the Controller is rated at 180-260 volts ac in

the 180 volt dc motor uses under full load approx max 8 amps the most ive seen it up to is 6
(the controller has led display for volts and amps)
OK, then the only thing different that I suggest is adding a 1 amp key for the wall wart power connection

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the reason for the 30amp (7Kw)switch devices?
What is the nature of the 240vdc motor controller? Ex Treadmill?
10a fuse maybe a little light if it is in fact an average T.M. track motor.
Max.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Max.
Plus the inrush may be enough to blow it or even trip the breaker.

Caus-i-can

Joined Jul 19, 2017
control board design.png
Max.
so it will be used for my lathe and a mill

here are details for motor controller

PWM DC Motor Speed Controller AC180V-260V Input DC180V Output 8A Digital Display

Features
suit for the power of DC motor less than 1000w.

Suit for the current of your dc motor less than 6A

1, the input power supply (VAC): AC180-260V 50 / 60Hz (for global voltage)
2, the output armature voltage range (VDC): DC180
3, the output armature current range (A): 8A (If the working current over 8A, the motor will stop work)
If the current is too big need to increase the heat
4, the output excitation voltage range (VDC): 100/200 (default full-bridge rectifier, which is 0.9 times the input voltage)

5, the output excitation current range (A): 1A
6, the working frequency: 16 KHz
7, given signal mode (V / mA): default potentiometer, 0-5V, 0-10V, 4-20mA, PWM, touchtone
8, enable control mode (EN): switch
9, soft start (acceleration time adjustment range) (S): 0-10S (default 2 seconds)
10, soft stop (deceleration time adjustment range) (S): 0-10S (default 2 seconds)
11, double loop PI regulation (voltage and current) control is more reliable
12, IR torque compensation range: 0-100% (default 0)

also have installed a on/off/on switch in between controller power out and motor.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are you integrating the Tach or using the existing T.M. one.
In many cases the T.M. motor controller does not use it it goes to the panel for processing.
What make/model of control & motor?
Max.

Caus-i-can

Joined Jul 19, 2017
Are you integrating the Tach or using the existing T.M. one.
In many cases the T.M. motor controller does not use it it goes to the panel for processing.
What make/model of control & motor?
Max.

PWM DC Motor Speed Controller AC180V-260V Input DC180V Output 8A Digital Display

Features

3, the output armature current range (A): 8A (If the working current over 8A, the motor will stop work)
4, the output excitation voltage range (VDC): 100/200 (default full-bridge rectifier, which is 0.9 times the input voltage)

7, given signal mode (V / mA): default potentiometer, 0-5V, 0-10V, 4-20mA, PWM, touchtone
9, soft start (acceleration time adjustment range) (S): 0-10S (default 2 seconds)
10, soft stop (deceleration time adjustment range) (S): 0-10S (default 2 seconds)

also have installed a on/off/on switch in between controller power out and notor

Last edited: Today at 1:46 AM

Caus-i-can

Joined Jul 19, 2017

Features

also have installed a on/off/on switch in between controller power out and notor

Last edited: Today at 1:46 AM
here is link for controller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-DC-Moto...d=322290200231&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It appears to me that the tach is quite separate from the DC motor controller, since the controller lists a digital display of it's own. There would not be much inrush from switching on the motor controller since it includes adjustable acceleration time. It probably does not use the tach signal at all, but rather monitors the back EMF. And my guess is that the switch 30 amps is simply the rating of the switches available that are suitable for 220 volt service. So the block diagram is fine, it is the actual connections, which we have never seen, that will make the difference.

So what we can help with next is an actual circuit drawing, one that includes all of the wiring, not a general block diagram, which is all we have seen so far. Other postings on motor controls may show details as to what I am talking about.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
here is link for controller
also have installed a on/off/on switch in between controller power out and motor.
Not a good idea to place a switch between motor and controller, if for a E-stop, I would switch the EN_able input at the same time as removing supply power to the drive, if for reversal purposes, I would ensure the EN is activated at the same time if using the drive output to reverse..Remember if reversing motor leads, the automatic ramp up-soft start is not active.
If you are retaining the flywheel and using the motor for lath/mill applications, if the flywheel is threaded on, it can spin off in the reverse direction.
I always recommend removing it if fitted.
Don't forget the earth ground, including the motor frame.
Max.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
From the description it does not seem like the drive and motor came from a treadmill. That was another string a few months ago. This discussion seems to be about a purchased drive and motor. And a mill would not have a flywheel, neither would a lathe, if it is a motorized one. A hand-crank driven lathe would certainly need to have a flywheel, though.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Obviously the drive does not.

Post #9 States 180v TREADMILL MOTOR.
Max.
Max, The only reference to a treadmill motor is made by you. And I can't imagine that a treadmill motor would have all those different control inputs available, or that it would have a current display. So we will need to wait for the thread starter to tell us about the motor and controller's previous life.

Caus-i-can

Joined Jul 19, 2017
Hi All,

Firstly the motor is indeed a treadmill motor, have about 4-5 to choose fromIMG20180910191335[1].jpg

so they range from 1.5 hp to 1.75hp the
the one in the middle i have 3 of ..
i have run it on my lathe with motor controller by its self and faces no problems
just didnt llike the idea of swithching it on/off directly from wall socket.

so wanting to make the the control box to incorporate a switch that is on or closer to lathe,
which can also house the Tachometer display, and to also house a switch that lets me change the rotation cw/ccw.

Max im not sure what you mean by not puting the cw/ccw switch in between the controller and motor.

IMG20180910194004[1].jpg

on the controler ther is a EN terminal (orange wire) that is attached to a spst swith this switch when used turns off controll off potenetiometer at the speed you have it adjusted to so that ou can stop start the motor to exacting speeds (i think)