Design Verification and Manufacturing support for Startup

SATHYAN

Joined Apr 2, 2015
Hello!

We have developed an security based embedded device (prototype only) and wanna manufacture it in India or Abroad.

We would like to manufacture 10K units of the embedded device initially for a trial run.

Since we are a start up, we have limited exposure in electronics manufacturing sector. Since the device is also a lifestyle device, aesthetics design plays a bigger role. We also need support for getting device certifications FCC , CE, etc.,.

I come across the companies like Titoma (Taiwan) , Altadox (China) who can support the design verification and manufacturing support.

Please suggest us any low cost alternative or any other trusted companies that can support our electronic start up for manufacturing the devices in India or Abroad.

Regards,
Sathyan

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I cannot personally recommend using this service, but one of my clients is thinking about using them. They are in Thailand.

From their website:

Futurlec can offer a complete supply, assembly, and testing solution for your design or just board assembly with your components. Our highly trained assembly staff have many years of experience and can assemble a wide range of circuit boards, including SMD parts.
Batch sizes start from only 50 units and all boards are individually tested, with necessary quality control procedures in place. We offer very competitive rates with fast turnaround times.
For an estimate of assembly costs per board, please send a copy of your parts list, including quantity required, to our production engineer at pcb@futurlec.com

SATHYAN

Joined Apr 2, 2015
Dear DickCappels,

Thanks for your immediate response.

Futurlec is the largest supplier of electronic components and offers printed circuit board assembly service.

As i mentioned we are a start up company based on Chennai, India, we are looking for a company where we will get an end-to-end, one stop solution, from design verification, pcb manufacturing, assembly , aesthetics design and deployment and device certifications.

Please follow the below websites and please share if you have any experience working with them.

http://www.titoma.com/
http://www.altadox.com/about_us.htm

I am also trying to find similar companies with whom the forum members have had experience working with, so that we can reach out to the right company and meet our time to market!

Since this is the very first time we are planning to go manufacturing, i also request the forum members to share their opinion and guidance in EDM/EMS.

Regards,
Sathyan

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
10K units is way too many for a startup venture. A mistake in the PCB will result in a huge pile of assembled scrap. Our #1 rule for success was, "build a few - sell a few". Start with a couple of prototypes for design verification and initial testing. A pilot production of 100 units is more than enough to get units into the hands of customers. Successive runs building up the 10K level should follow. Avoid like the plague having a large inventory to manage.

Another advantage. If your supplier cannot handle 100 pieces, how do you expect them to handle 10K. Debugging the supply chain is arguably more important than debugging the electronics.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Another piece of advice. If you get an order, and you quote a lead time, and the customer does not like the lead time. Do not under any circumstances anticipate future orders and increase your inventory before you have those orders. If they want short lead time ask them to pay a premium for expedited assembly and delivery. Don't get left holding a large inventory of finished goods that you can't sell.

SATHYAN

Joined Apr 2, 2015
Dear Papabravo,

Thanks you so much for your advice.

Your interest shown here is really adorable.

By the way, would you please suggest us any EMS/EDM companies that you had worked with, especially in China and Taiwan?

Regards,
Sathyan

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We never got big enough to move our operations offshore. I think 400 units was the biggest order we ever had to place. We anticipated an order and we wanted to reduce the lead time from six seeks to one week. It was the one that killed us because when we told them we had stock and could deliver in one week, our customer said "no thank you we don't need any more."

SATHYAN

Joined Apr 2, 2015
I can understand and that's really worse.

We will be cautious when we handle such huge orders!

But, we are far behind that stage. we have a huge customer potential. Since the cost of the device is the greatest deciding factor for the success of our electronic product, we we are trying to find a cost effective EMS/EDM Partner.

Many Thanks!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I understand completely.

To use a baseball analogy, "Instead of swinging for the fences to hit a series of home runs, grind out a series of base hits to score your runs".