Design safety laser scanner

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by nzlcn, Aug 11, 2017.

1. nzlcn

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I want to design safety laser scanner. However, ı dont know which type lens and mirror are used in similar products in market (common brands are Sick , Omron, Keyence etc.). Are there someone teardown these brand's products ?Should ı use which type lens to focus laser beam ?

2. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Would you be talking about a LASER Safety Curtain? Determine the light frequency (wavelength) you want, buy the LASER diodes (Emitters) and appropriate sensors (Detectors) and build the curtain as is shown in the first link. I suggest you start with a few LASER Diodes and Detectors and build a proof of concept. LASER diodes should include the required lens to focus the beam. The brand / manufacturer is up to you and I suggest you start reading and understanding data sheets.

Ron

3. nzlcn

Aug 11, 2017
    I will design like in this link safety laser scanner. I use about 900-950 nm IR laser diode. I use this device for safety,so ı must select right lens for laser diode and detector. Can ı find lens type in laser diode datasheet ?

4. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    I "think" units like that use a colliminator type lens but hopefully someone else has a better thought than I do.

Ron

5. nzlcn

Aug 11, 2017
    Thanks for answer. I think who disassembles these scanners may help me :)

6. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    An IR LASER is not safe. The problem is that the eye does not see IR. This means that the IR can damage the eye without the person knowing it is happening. For a bright visible light a person will close his eyelids and look away thus preventing eye damage.

There are specific rules for how much power is allowed for using a LASER safely. The FDA here in the US publishes and enforces these requirements.

I have included an FDA document here for you to look at.

Alec_t and DickCappels like this.