design a finite state machine diagram of a 4-FLOOR Elevator SYSTEM

lowiqengineer

Joined Jun 13, 2021
design a finite state machine diagram of a 4-FLOOR Elevator SYSTEM of a house, with the following specifications.
a) On the Ground Floor there is an input button for UP and on the Upper Floor, there is a button for DOWN. When the button is pressed, the elevator door will open;
b) On each floor and in the elevator there are 4 indicator lights, namely Light 0 which lights up when the elevator has arrived at the ground floor, lamp 1 which lights up when the elevator has arrived at the 1st floor, and so on;
c) Inside the elevator, there are 2 manual buttons each for opening and closing the elevator doors, and 4 buttons for floor destinations;
d) When you reach a certain floor, the elevator door will open automatically;
e) If the elevator is stationary on a certain floor and the door is open, within 30 seconds the door will close automatically;
f) You may add specifications other than those mentioned above without reducing the desired lift function.

can someone help me I tried to make it, but it just became a mess

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
I'm unimpressed by the quality of the specification, or perhaps spotting where information is lacking, or ambiguous, is part of the homework? Are the elevator shaft openings on each floor doorless? I used to write specifications for a living and train others to do it. If someone I was training handed me this specification it would have more red pen on it than original text. I don't see how a state machine can be designed to meet the current incomplete / vague requirements.

Last edited:

Indiman60

Joined Jan 21, 2021
I'm unimpressed by the quality of the specification, or perhaps spotting where information is lacking, or ambiguous, is part of the homework? Are the elevator shaft openings on each floor doorless? I used to write specifications for a living and train others to do it. If someone I was training handed me this specification it would have more red pen on it than original text. I don't see how a state machine can be designed to meet the current incomplete / vague requirements.
Dave, this lowiqengineer has posted a fairly clear question and I fail to see and you've labelled it as vague or incomplete. It's a fairly standard Set up....

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Dave, this lowiqengineer has posted a fairly clear question and I fail to see and you've labelled it as vague or incomplete. It's a fairly standard Set up....
The thread is very old and I don't remember why I said that, so I'll check:
> On the Ground Floor there is an input button for UP and on the Upper Floor, there is a button for DOWN.
> When the button is pressed, the elevator door will open;
Presumably not if the elevator isn't on the other side of the door.
> Inside the elevator, there are 2 manual buttons each for opening and closing the elevator doors
Presumably the buttons won't open the door if the elevator isn't stopped at a floor.
> When you reach a certain floor, the elevator door will open automatically
A "certain floor"? Maybe it means a floor that has been selected by a button in the lift or by somone waiting for the lift.
> You may add specifications other than those mentioned above
I maybe didn't see that the first time. I ran out of patience with the incomplete and ambiguous requirements.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Do You have a specific application that You want to apply this to ?
Is this Hydraulic, or Cable-operated ?
With 4-floors, your talking about requiring a proffesional, commercial, installation.

I have a Schematic I could provide, which presently only includes 2-Levels,
and which also doesn't include Door opening/closing Circuitry,
but that can be added as a separate, stand-alone, automatic function.
Multiple-floors can get very complex very quickly.

But you're talking about going ~50-feet into the air with people. WHY ???

Indiman60

Joined Jan 21, 2021
> On the Ground Floor there is an input button for UP and on the Upper Floor, there is a button for DOWN.
> Inside the elevator, there are 2 manual buttons each for opening and closing the elevator doors
Presumably the buttons won't open the door if the elevator isn't stopped at a floor.
A "certain floor"? Maybe it means a floor that has been selected by a button in the lift or by somone waiting for the lift.
I maybe didn't see that the first time. I ran out of patience with the incomplete and ambiguous requirements.
With 4-floors, your talking about requiring a proffesional, commercial, installation.

A V Gm2u. First I'm amazed at the far reply that you have to my post on an old thread. First let me clarify that my reply was entirely coincidental, because I'm also working on a similar albeit urgent project that should be up& running by the first week of Dec. This is supposed 2b a demo for three/four floors at the moment by could run upto 15-20 floors easily once we start getting approvals. The proposal is like this. First of all is not a passenger lift, but a luggage lift catering to weights of upto 15Kg Max. The carriage will or will not have an automatic door depending on the size of the carriage(the assumption is that a small lift will not need it, although the safety factor will obviously be taken into account.). The cable will go over a pulley at the top and come down on the other side pulled by a hoist appropriately assisted by counterweights with the entire management of this will be at the ground floor for easy service/maintenance. Ofcourse the will be limit switches at either end on the top& bottom along with the necessary floor sensors. Just like the automatic doors, Digital floor indicators showing the progress of the lift can also be included as an option. If you can help me out in this aspect I will be eternally grateful to you. At this point I must point out that I have decades of experience in designing and executing many many projects in analogue electronics as well as in mechanical work. But frankly Digital electronics plainly foxes me. Thank you for hearing me out patiently and pz include that circuit that you have for four floors if possible. Bye & take care.

Indiman60

Joined Jan 21, 2021

Gm 2u. This is Prashanth Suvarna from South India. I happened to come accurate your posts and decided to peep in because I had a similar requirement and was desperate for a solution. As of now I already have a working luggage lift running b/w2 levels for the last 1yr. It was a simple affair that required 2 primary latched relays, one relay for Stop/Reset &3 buttons wired in parallel for both floors. I would like to take a look at your circuit for 4 floors if it's ok on your end. BTW the property is a demo that has to be up& running by the 1st wk of Dec. Thank you for "listening". Bye and take care.
(Copy of mail sent earlier to Dave Louther)

A V Gm2u. First I'm amazed at the far reply that you have to my post on an old thread. First let me clarify that my reply was entirely coincidental, because I'm also working on a similar albeit urgent project that should be up& running by the first week of Dec. This is supposed 2b a demo for three/four floors at the moment by could run upto 15-20 floors easily once we start getting approvals. The proposal is like this. First of all is not a passenger lift, but a luggage lift catering to weights of upto 15Kg Max. The carriage will or will not have an automatic door depending on the size of the carriage(the assumption is that a small lift will not need it, although the safety factor will obviously be taken into account.). The cable will go over a pulley at the top and come down on the other side pulled by a hoist appropriately assisted by counterweights with the entire management of this will be at the ground floor for easy service/maintenance. Ofcourse the will be limit switches at either end on the top& bottom along with the necessary floor sensors. Just like the automatic doors, Digital floor indicators showing the progress of the lift can also be included as an option. If you can help me out in this aspect I will be eternally grateful to you. At this point I must point out that I have decades of experience in designing and executing many many projects in analogue electronics as well as in mechanical work. But frankly Digital electronics plainly foxes me. Thank you for hearing me out patiently and pz include that circuit that you have for four floors if possible. Bye & take care.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
This project needs to be controlled by a Micro-Processor, and is very complex.
My Schematic is probably not at all appropriate, and may be no help at all,
but I will include it here because it "may" give You some ideas.
Elevator 1  .png