describe electricity

DeathByMidgets

Joined May 11, 2009
my grandad told me a two year grad or liscensed electrical engineer couldnt describe electricity can you help me and describe it for me so i can be smarter then the average bear?

The classic definition is "The flow of electrons through a conductor." Just remember this warning: "A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing" especially when it comes to electricity.

Cheers, DPW

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Electricity starts with an electric field and a conductor. The field causes electrons to migrate from the negitive side to the positive side through the conductor. Each individual electron moves fairly slowly, but there are billions and billions (sounds better when you say it) moving through the conductor.

Magnetic fields can be converted to electric field via motion, or you can create an electric field via chemistry.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
Electricity doesn't need a conductor or a flow of electrons. Think: Static Electricity.

A flow of electrons is an Electric Current.

What is an electric field?

What is a magnetic field?

Luckily, because we know the effects and they are predictable, we can do all sorts of useful things without knowing how it actually works!