DeMorgans Laws

mztrordinary

Joined May 25, 2016
Hi I need some guidance with converting the boolean expression A and B or Not C into a NOR gate circuit I am totally lost with this and the steps i have attached in the pics are below as to my steps with DeMorgans breaking the line changing the sign etc but i dont know where to go after that

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
So you got the red-shaded area to look like a NOR gate. How would you make the blue-shaded area look like a NOR gate (without changing the logic function)?

Attachments

mztrordinary

Joined May 25, 2016
So you got the red-shaded area to look like a NOR gate. How would you make the blue-shaded area look like a NOR gate (without changing the logic function)?

I think i am almost there the green ticks are from my professor he said it is almost correct i just cannot wrap my head around this

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You are good up to the fourth line, why the fifth line?
You need to convert all your dot operators (AND) to + operators (OR).
If you already have OR operator, leave it at that.

Read posts #2 and #5.

A + B = NOT ( NOT (A + B) )

mztrordinary

Joined May 25, 2016
You are good up to the fourth line, why the fifth line?
You need to convert all your dot operators (AND) to + operators (OR).
If you already have OR operator, leave it at that.

Read posts #2 and #5.

A + B = NOT ( NOT (A + B) )

Well i suffer with dyslexia so trying to understand these things can sometimes be a big task hence why i thought i was correct with the first 4 lines and then no more.

Attachments

mztrordinary

Joined May 25, 2016
Whats the difference with 9 and 10. Sorry i see it there but the equation in ten is same is it not as in the long line over the final step represents NOR anyway as too does the plus sign with a line over it? But please inform me if i am wrong

Last edited:

mztrordinary

Joined May 25, 2016
9 and 10 are the same the only difference is the word nor between the expressions instead of the + symbol in 10. but the line over the plus represents the NOR no?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
#9 and #10 are not the same.
The fourth line in #10 is the correct answer.
You made a mistake in the last line of #10. It should be C, not /C.
But now you have replaced the NOR gate with a NAND gate.
Keep the + operator, not the dot operator.

In this exercise, I find it is easier to work with digital logic symbols rather than boolean algebra. Your answer to this question would appear immediately in one step.

1603370736965.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
This is what was given to you:

DeMorgans Theorem exercise.jpg

Now convert the AND gate to an OR gate using U2 = U2B from my previous post.
Replace F with //F.