Delta & Star connection

polyfoam

Joined Nov 17, 2008
HI, im a newbie from electrical , i need somebody try to explain to me how delta and star connection work ...... hope that some profesional electrian can giv me some idea of how those connection work in 3 phase system .

Hello Polyfoam, i am totaly a newbie in circuits, though i work on boards, fix stuff,change parts,..etc.

i dont have to be a scientist to do so, but i lack in expressions and laws, anyway, when i read your post , i thought of making a small search to understand, what you mean.

And then i ran into this which explained to me everything, i thought to share it with you you might find your answer there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power

the stepdown is three phase, the output of this transformer is usually star (Y) connected with the standard mains voltage (120 V in North America and 230 V in Europe and Australia) being the phase-neutral voltage. Another system commonly seen in North America is to have a delta connected secondary with a centre tap on one of the windings supplying the ground and neutral. This allows for 240 V three phase as well as three different single phase voltages (120 V between two of the phases and the neutral, 208 V between the third phase (known as a high leg) and neutral and 240 V between any two phases) to be made available from the same supply.
</Amsuna>