Delivering power to load using MOSFET

Nano001

Joined Jan 12, 2010
Hi, I am using the attached circuit using the p-mosfet below to switch power to my circuit, and I am getting strange results.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MMBF2202PT1-D.PDF

My Vin is 3.2 V, and the on/off to the gate is 2.5 V / 0V (gnd). I need to periodically source this voltage and about 8-10 mA to my load for 10 seconds every 5 minutes. If I use a power supply, my circuit works just fine, however when I use a 3.0 V coin cell battery (CR2032, about 3.2 V actually) the circuit does not perform correctly. I know it is not a current supplying issue from the battery because when I directly connect the battery to the circuit everything works fine. Also, I am not losing any voltage drop through the mosfet, the voltage delivered to the load is equal to the source voltage when the gate is off.

If I put two 3V batteries in series to get 6V at the drain, it works. My question is why doesn't it work with a single 3V battery through the FET when I have tested that 3V is fine with a power supply through the FET and directly using a battery?

Can anyone give me some insight on what could be happening here?

Attachments

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi,

You said the power supply voltage was 3.2V. The 0.2V more than the cell voltage is enough to make it operate.

How do you control the gate? Show a diagram please with the cell connected.

Nano001

Joined Jan 12, 2010
Hi,

You said the power supply voltage was 3.2V. The 0.2V more than the cell voltage is enough to make it operate.

How do you control the gate? Show a diagram please with the cell connected.

Actually, the cell voltage is about 3.2 V also, the coin cell says 3 V but a new one is actually around 3.2 V when you measure it out of the package. The circuit with the control logic and load is attached. Any improvements would be welcome.

Attachments

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
First, check that the cell shares the same GND as the microcontroller.

Second, check the cell voltage stays at 3.2V when the MOSFET is ON. It might drop because the cell cannot supply the demanded current.