Deletion of the post regarding UAS registration?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If it is an advert it has to go. They don't care if the thread is locked, just how many eyeballs see it. Now if you want to re-display it minus the advert that would be poetic justice.

Another thought just occurred, a mod could modify it. But that would require me clicking on links I don't feel are safe.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sorry, I forgot to add that all links and names needed to be deleted too. Keeping the spammer links in a locked thread just doesn't make sense. However, keeping that type of thread visible to those who might have replied may avoid the sort of confusion that led to this thread and to another on ETO that I started in naive response to the same spammer. FAA control of heretofore hobby airspace is a hot topic today and we shouldn't ignore it.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This thread has headed OT, so I will continue in that direction since thee is no other thread on the subject. As some of you may have read, Congress is considering converting the FAA back to a Civil authority (i.e., a non-profit group). Oh, what memories. The very first paper I wrote in HS was about the conversion of the CAB to the FAA, which followed the collision of two airliners over the Grand Canyon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Grand_Canyon_mid-air_collision). I still have a copy.

Enough of such reminiscences, here is a link to the new re-authorization bill: http://transportation.house.gov/airr-act/ The American Model Aeronautical ("AMA") group is mildly encouraged by that development. Nevertheless, I believe it is still supporting the stance that the last re-authorization bill largely exempted model aircraft from the FAA's oversight.

For those of you who fly model airplanes "controlled from the ground" you are still advised by the AMA to register as "drone pilots." The penalties for not registering are too draconian.

John

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I deleted a similar one last week for the same reasons. The text was useful enough but nothing that you wouldn't find on any news feed. It served mainly to support the following commercial links. The advertising was keyed to a lightweight quadcopter that would not fall under current proposed regulations. Logged as SPAM which banned the one-post member automatically.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
More recently in the news, a foolish quadcopter pilot bumped his cheapie into a skyscraper in NYC. Rather than leaving the scene, he went to the bellman to ask for his drone back and was arrested forthwith. He had not registered wit the FAA. As they say, when quadcopter drones are outlawed, only criminals will have them.

I belong to and am active in a local AMA-sanctioned model club. We fly sailplanes (my first love), control line, jets, regular aircraft (one of our members is nationally ranked in 3D competition), electrics, indoor electric, helicopters, and multicopters. To a person, we are appalled by such fools. I believe that is typical of all sanctioned clubs. The problem is, how do you control the outlaws while letting the ranchers keep their ranches?

John