Dedicated generator/current sensing/current limiting

Rufus Peoples

Joined Nov 5, 2017
I’m trying to design an off grid solution that would allow me to charge a Tesla (240v@48a) without having to buy a ton of batteries (since most car charging would be done at night)

I would like to buy a generator that is dedicated to this purpose. The problem is I need a way to turn it on when needed and off when charging is done.

My first thought was to buy an inverter that would be sleep until current is needed the have it turn on the generator when it wakes up. Problem is the inverters that I saw need a 50amp breaker limiting the incoming AC current. The line from the charger to the generator needs a 60a breaker.

My next thought was to use the inverter to start the gen then use a transfer to switch to a dedicated line between the charger and gen. Problem is that the line between the inverter and charger would need to be limited to the inverter rated wattage (say 1.5kW) and I’m not sure how that would be done.

Is there another way to monitor the charger outlet to see if there is need for power to control a relay that would control the generator?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Seems counter-productive to buy an electric car without an internal combustion engine, and then charge it from a polluting internal combustion engine-driven generator. :rolleyes:
Likely your overall efficiency would be much poorer than just driving a car with a modern engine.

I don't really understand what this "inverter" is supposed to do. :confused:
What are its input and output?

Rufus Peoples

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Seems counter-productive to buy an electric car without an internal combustion engine, and then charge it from a polluting internal combustion engine-driven generator. :rolleyes:
Likely your overall efficiency would be much poorer than just driving a car with a modern engine.

I don't really understand what this "inverter" is supposed to do. :confused:
What are its input and output?
I’m producing biogas so the energy is being created from what would otherwise be waste.

The only reason I’m thinking inverter is because that the only thing I know of that can monitor the load and start/stop the generator; but part of my question is if there is a better way?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I’m thinking inverter is because that the only thing I know of that can monitor the load and start/stop the generator;
An inverter is usually considered to be a device that converts a DC voltage to an AC voltage but you seem to be using that word in a different context.
Exactly what type of inverter are you talking about?

Does the charger have a signal or light available when the Tesla charging is finished?
The simplest might be to start the generator manually to start the battery charge, and then use a charge-completed signal to stop the generator.