Decreasing RPM on induction motor while keeping torque the same

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
This thread is about induction motors and that's what my answer was referring to.
A stepper motor is not an induction motor.

I'm pretty sure the Thread Starter is mistaking his motor terms, like the rest of this project. This is for his electric bicycle project. When he says 'induction motor' I'd be willing to bet he really means BLDC motor. Although many electric cars use induction motors in them, I can't see a bike having the inverter and batteries to use an induction motor.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

If you have a motor that is 3000rpm with 10Nm then you have to look at the motor torque speed curves to find out if you can lower the speed and still get the same torque.
To lower the speed takes a lower frequency and lower voltage.
If you just lower the frequency, the core saturates, so you have to lower the voltage too.
When you lower the voltage, you lower the current, but when you lower the frequency you increase the current, so there may be a happy medium for your motor that works.

If you gear it down 3:1 you get 1000rpm at 30Nm ideally. But if you gear it down 2:1 you get 2000rpm at 20Nm ideally, and then you can slow it down by decreasing voltage and frequency.
Of course you'd want to find the optimum gear ratio.

As others are saying, the right motor would be much much easier to implement.