DC to DC module with remote adjust.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I’m looking for the typical DC to DC buck converter you see everywhere from companies such as Drok…etc.

Except I need one without the adjustment pot mounted to the board.

Requirements:
8 Amp output…would prefer higher, but not so high as to jack the price too far.
15 Volt input
1.5 to 12.5 or so output

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Yo,

Yea if I can’t find something I will probably have to do a mod on a unit like that, although I don’t like the idea.

Only need about 12 inches or so of wire distance.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The unknown is how much phase margin there is in the regulator's control loop. Unless the circuit is specifically designed for a remote adjustment pot, there probably will be noise issues. The best way to filter the noise is with capacitance, and the best way to screw up a control loop is with capacitance.

ak

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Yea, I was afraid there might be some issues with extending the pot leads.

Some loss of regulation is not a problem, but “noise” is not something I want to deal with.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It depends on how the control loop is constructed. There are several basic types of switching power supply topologies or modes. Most manufacturers don't have a problem giving out this basic information. Also, you can open up the supply and see if the primary side is something recognizable like a Power Integrations TopSwitch, or has a controller with a useful part number. These can be clues to the topology being used, which is a clue to its basic stability.

ak

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Thanks for the information, I’ll keep looking for an off the shelf version with a remote pot, because this thing can’t be a project in itself, linear is an option here, but I was trying to avoid…the heat.