DC Motor Slow Start Circuit

TacoSleaze

Joined Jun 19, 2020
I am sure it has been asked 1 million times, but I am new to this....

I would like to add a slow start circuit to my 20v max DC motor.

I would like to engage the circuit and have the motor take maybe up to 5 seconds to reach peak.

It is for my daughters ride on Jeep. She keeps spinning the tires and they are being shredded.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What are your electronic capabilities?
You could use a couple of 555 timers to ramp up the motor, what is the current rating of the motor?
Mabe incorporate something like this, Ebay 163911760261
Max.

TacoSleaze

Joined Jun 19, 2020
I am pretty okay. I printed my own PCBs a decade ago. I can do the work, I just don't know how all the pixies work. I have some 555s is stock.
I couldn't find any markings on the motor....how could I test it to be sure?
I read that gerenically, these motors are called a 550.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Any experience with small microchip's? a single 8 pin would also do it.
But you would need to find out the motor rating to size any switching device.
Not RS-550's surely?
Max.

TacoSleaze

Joined Jun 19, 2020
It was originally on a 6 volt battery, but after some basic research, I found that they are capable of up to 24v. So I hooked up a 18v battery and she really liked the speed she got.

TacoSleaze

Joined Jun 19, 2020
FB_IMG_1592321454793.jpg
Someone in a Power Wheels group suggested this a week ago. However, their systems have two DC drive motors, so I am sure these are not the right values.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So is this a four wheel drive for the jeep?
If so, how is the differential action accounted for?
It seems to have the ability to do tight turn circles.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Did you check out the Ebay item I listed? 163911760261
It is a little over-kill maybe for what you need, but you should be able to incorporate it into the Jeep.
It has soft start built in, you would have the option of on/off as it appears it currently has, or build the pot into some kind of accelerator pedal.
Max.

TacoSleaze

Joined Jun 19, 2020
The pedal is on top of a momentary on switch, to a forward/reverse switch to the motor. There are no components in the circuit.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If using the unit suggested, you could use the present switch to switch in the speed pot which would be set to maximum, or replace with a fixed resistor, as the unit has soft start, alternatively, you could set up an arrangment as used on industrial foot pedal switches that contain a pot function. (i.e. accelerator)
Max.