DC motor driven by small signal

clementyap

Joined Oct 26, 2015
Hi I have a CNC and I am going to have it automated by PC.
I have a DC motor rated at 90VDC powered by 230VAC and its speed can be controlled by means of knob.
Since the speed can be controlled by CNC controller and it has an analog signal (0 to 10V).
What is the device called, between DC motor and CNC controller, in order to vary the speed and switvch on /off of the DC motor?
Is it inverter? All I know is the power inverter that converted DC power to AC Power.

Please kindly advise. Thanks

Clement

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Do you mean you already have a CNC controller which requires a 0-10VDC input to set the motor speed? If so, you need a 'level-converter' between the PC output and the controller input.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I assume you are referring to the digital PWM spindle signal similar used by Mach S/W through the P.P. for this a digital to analogue converter is used there are quite a few out there including simple DIY circuits.
If you want to control the motor as a servo, then you will need a ±10vdc analogue signal and a suitable controller, there is Linux S/W or Kanalog that will do this for PC based CNC.
Max.

clementyap

Joined Oct 26, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Do you mean you already have a CNC controller which requires a 0-10VDC input to set the motor speed? If so, you need a 'level-converter' between the PC output and the controller input.
Hi Thanks.
No, the controller has a USB to PC. The controller has 0-10V analog input signal (Sorry, not DC) for the spindle motor to do drill press.
Because the motor is rated at 90VDC, what must be put between controller and DC motor?

clementyap

Joined Oct 26, 2015
I assume you are referring to the digital PWM spindle signal similar used by Mach S/W through the P.P. for this a digital to analogue converter is used there are quite a few out there including simple DIY circuits.
If you want to control the motor as a servo, then you will need a ±10vdc analogue signal and a suitable controller, there is Linux S/W or Kanalog that will do this for PC based CNC.
Max.
Hi Max Thanks.
I have a CNC controller driven by PC's USB and MACH. It is ST-V2. See the link. It can be also considered as a breakout card. Meaning that the motor must be a servo type and the right circuit to be used between controller and servo motor, it has to be PWM controlled driven cct by analog input to produce VDC output?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Spindle or servo the means of control can vary, step/dir, analogue, PWM etc.
The difference is a spindle is often open loop, servo closed loop, for which some kind of PID feedback is required.
Max.