Daylight lamp repair. Help please.

JBird60

Joined Feb 26, 2020
I have a "daylight" fluorescent lamp that has a faulty dimmer / on-off switch I believe. I can SOMETIMES get it to come on placing slips of cardboard under the rotary dimmer/ on-off knob. (Really a potentiometer with an on/off switch) I can't seem to locate a potentiometer styled like it to just replace it. (B100K) I rarely had it less than fully on so the dimmer is not really utilized. A simple on'/off switch would be fine but how do I wire it? There are from left to right a red, purple, blue and gray wire connections. Could someone help me with what two wires I use for a simple on/off switch? What to do with the "left over" wires? I'd be very appreciative. Thank you.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not sure of what the rest of the circuit is but Red-Black appears to be on/off and Mauve-blue are the pot.
If so shorting the mauve blue and switching the Red-Blk should operate it ON/OFF
Max.

JBird60

Joined Feb 26, 2020
Not sure of what the rest of the circuit is but Red-Black appears to be on/off and Mauve-blue are the pot.
If so shorting the mauve blue and switching the Red-Blk should operate it ON/OFF
Max.
I assume that the copper plated board and under it are the "starter" and "ballast"? The lamp was purchased from Sharper Image about 10 or 15 years ago. BTW, what do you mean exactly by "shorting" the mauve and blue wires? Do you know where I might get another potentiometer like the one shown? (B100K) or 100K Ohms.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
POT with built in On/Off switch, Probabally Digikey, but maybe quicker and cheaper for a local hardware store, Home Depot etc.
'Shorting the wires' = connect them together!
Max.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I assume that the copper plated board and under it are the "starter" and "ballast"?
Are you sure this is a florescent light ??? The bulb could be a cylindrical incandescent ...

Under the copper plated board could be a resistance , switched in series to put lamp on low.

JBird60

Joined Feb 26, 2020
Are you sure this is a florescent light ??? The bulb could be a cylindrical incandescent ...

Under the copper plated board could be a resistance , switched in series to put lamp on low.
I thought the potentiometer with it's variable resistance/power is what put the lamp on low?