data on a chip as a battery NOT a perp motion

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
well I will try to explain my thinking.

all computers store data in binary 0s and 1s , you would know them as bits that are in bytes, you get 8 bits in a byte ranging from 0 to 256, they are simple on off switches.

Imaging storing the data in spring loaded switches, so press a spring in to store a 1, the release the spring to make it a zero. microchips store data in micro switches.

the chips would need to be custom made to act like micro springs

you would lose some power eash charge and discharge, but it would be a lot less than using a battery on its own.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What kind of "springs" do you imagine would work?
The data in RAM is stored in minute capacitors but there's no practical way to recover that energy.
And the energy put into the "springs" would likely be a lot more than present circuits take.
Even if you could recover some of that, the end result would likely still be it would use more power than standard circuits.
Suggest you put you intellectual abilities to developing more practical ideas. :rolleyes:

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
What kind of "springs" do you imagine would work?
The data in RAM is stored in minute capacitors but there's no practical way to recover that energy.
And the energy put into the "springs" would likely be a lot more than present circuits take.
Even if you could recover some of that, the end result would likely still be it would use more power than standard circuits.
Suggest you put you intellectual abilities to developing more practical ideas. :rolleyes:
if RAM is stored in capasitors then they are already springs, just need to discharge & collect power, this would happen many times a second probably.

also "using a battery on its own." simply meant having a normal battery & collecting power from a chip

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
if RAM is stored in capasitors then they are already springs, just need to discharge & collect power, this would happen many times a second probably.

also "using a battery on its own." simply meant having a normal battery & collecting power from a chip
I would say that the first thing you would need to do is determine how much energy is stored in a modern RAM chip.

Then determine how much energy would be stored in this chip you envision. Then estimate what fraction of that energy would be lost on each cycle.

With that you can compare how much energy is consumed by the current technology and how much would be consumed by yours. Unless yours is considerably less, you have a non-starter.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
In the most used type of RAM today - DRAM data is already stored in capacitors. However even now these caps need to be recharged every few tens of milliseconds, because the chip is not perfect an the capacitors have leakage current, so there is no practical way to recover that charge.

Also the amount of charge stored is so minuscule that using it to store any practical amount of energy is completely out of question.

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
In the most used type of RAM today - DRAM data is already stored in capacitors. However even now these caps need to be recharged every few tens of milliseconds, because the chip is not perfect an the capacitors have leakage current, so there is no practical way to recover that charge.

Also the amount of charge stored is so minuscule that using it to store any practical amount of energy is completely out of question.
well that means normal chips as they are wont work, we need something like SSD memory where the 1s stay charged. I know this is against your instinct , but if a smart phone may be possible to increase power saveing it would be worth it. it probably means custom chips, maybe its not viable I just thought Id share the thought

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
I would say that the first thing you would need to do is determine how much energy is stored in a modern RAM chip.

Then determine how much energy would be stored in this chip you envision. Then estimate what fraction of that energy would be lost on each cycle.

With that you can compare how much energy is consumed by the current technology and how much would be consumed by yours. Unless yours is considerably less, you have a non-starter.
I cant do the tests , its a LAB guys job at apple, but I take your point

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016

also I would like to point out that if there is only a small amount of energy stored in the chip, then it only took a small amout to charge, so any energy recovery would be close, also the recovery would be many many times a second , so is probably worth doing.

I cant provide energy estimates I don't have the LAB or the skill, its an Apple techs territory to try, maybe its not possible I just pose the question. it definatly is worth exploring for smart phones.

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
Any technique to save this minute energy will require more energy than you can ever recover.
possibly, but if the power is held in capacitors then maybe a power flush may be possible, and maybe it would be possible in a new chip design, it may not be worth it in current chips. I understand what your saying though