Darwin Awards

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I was going to post this to the Now for something weird thread but I feel that this really deserves its own thread. So this thread is dedicated to those that are so stupid they are a danger to themselves ans anyone around them.

Up first is the unknown man that fell through the ice while trying to ice fish at our local Lake Arthur.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/12/18/fisherman-falls-through-ice-moraine-state-park/

Even in a long cold winter (which it has been fairly mild so far). Lake Arthur does not freeze over to a safe thickness until at least late January to early February. You would think that the guy could have taken a hint when he did not see any other fisherman on the ice that it might be too dangerous for fishing.

It is reported that the thickest ice right now is about 3 inches.

The ice does get thick enough to go ice boating when we have a colder winter. I have been put. It is a blast. But one of the rules are no snow on the ice so you can see the thin spots. Combine that with the frequent lack of wind on the lake, it makes for a very limited sailing season.

upload_2017-12-19_19-26-20.png

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just drove by a retention pond and saw a skating rink shoveled out. I don't know how long ago it was cleared but mighty warm yesterday and today in western PA. I could just imagine Darwin under the ice calling those guys to join him.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I was going to post this to the Now for something weird thread but I feel that this really deserves its own thread. So this thread is dedicated to those that are so stupid they are a danger to themselves ans anyone around them.

Up first is the unknown man that fell through the ice while trying to ice fish at our local Lake Arthur.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/12/18/fisherman-falls-through-ice-moraine-state-park/

Even in a long cold winter (which it has been fairly mild so far). Lake Arthur does not freeze over to a safe thickness until at least late January to early February. You would think that the guy could have taken a hint when he did not see any other fisherman on the ice that it might be too dangerous for fishing.

It is reported that the thickest ice right now is about 3 inches.

The ice does get thick enough to go ice boating when we have a colder winter. I have been put. It is a blast. But one of the rules are no snow on the ice so you can see the thin spots. Combine that with the frequent lack of wind on the lake, it makes for a very limited sailing season.

View attachment 142090

Sorry, I don't think 71 y.o.s are eligible for Darwins.

First, he made it to 71. He can't be that stupid.
Second, if he were to plant seed, he'd have likely done it already.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sorry, I don't think 71 y.o.s are eligible for Darwins.

First, he made it to 71. He can't be that stupid.
Second, if he were to plant seed, he'd have likely done it already.

They must of updated the story. They didn't know who was just earlier today.

It is amazing he made it to 71 if we was that dumb to go out on to the ice. Then again it could have been dementia at that age which would be really sad.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Yes the Darwin Award is usually reserved for those who remove Stupid Genes from the pool. Planting seeds, while not explicit cause for rejection, do decrease their chances. The candidates can increase their chances of getting the award by having their final words be something like "Hey, watch this" or "Here, hold my beer".

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes the Darwin Award is usually reserved for those who remove Stupid Genes from the pool. Planting seeds, while not explicit cause for rejection, do decrease their chances. The candidates can increase their chances of getting the award by having their final words be something like "Hey, watch this" or "Here, hold my beer".
FYI -- Here is the 2017 List, with only 11 days to go.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2017.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BobTPH Off-Topic 19
Berzerker Off-Topic 16
T Off-Topic 129