D2PAK diode heat management done better

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
I have D2Pak -power diode on PCB, and it will need some heat management due to the high pass current. I don't want to reserve a too large copper area from the Cathode side to spread the heat to the PCB but to use a heat sink. Two methods are available but which one is better. 1)Component is soldered to the PCB and directly on top of the component is a glued heat sink. 2) Reserve a copper area just next to the component and glue the same size heat sink to the PCB.
Which way is better for heat management?
Sure I can evaluate this but what is your opinion ? depends offcourse on many factors like the area, but lets say the heat sink is the same on both cases.

There is also improved component cases than D2PAK for this, like Vishay V20DL45 with TO-263AC which have thinner case to have shorter distance from the substrate to the surface..

1628149542648.png

-J

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi J,
I would not use Option #2.
The point to remember with finned heat-sinks is the fin orientational with respect the cooling air flow. ie: PCB mounting.

E

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
hi J,
I would not use Option #2.
The point to remember with finned heat-sinks is the fin orientational with respect the cooling air flow. ie: PCB mounting.

E
I don't fancy option #1 either - dissipating the heat through 3mm of plastic doesn't seem ideal.
There are solderable heatsinks which fit over a DPAK and remove the heat from the pcb quite close in on both sides,
but if a DPAK is too hot without a heatsink, I'd go for a TO220

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
hi Ian,
Why are you telling me.?
I don't know everything about the way this forum works, but my intention was to inform the TS of my thoughts, and also show that they followed on from your statement regarding his option #1. How should I have posted it?