Cyclic redundancy check codes (Design)

afrina_21

Joined Jun 5, 2016
help me to understand this because i'm not allowed to use XOR gate to design the CRC generator

Design, build and Test an 8-bit CRC generator. You should test your CRC generator by giving an input file of [11, AA, AC, DA, 59, A8, 9C, EF] or [00010001, 10101010,…… 11101111] to generate the checksum. Once you obtain the remainder (checksum), re-input the data along with checksum to your CRC generator to obtain 00H. This will confirm that your design is correct.

• Your CRC generator must posses an accumulator to perform the division
  • Your design should input a 8-bit parallel data and NOT a serial data stream, thus DO NOT use an XOR gate (Different from most of the implementation found in the Internet)
  • You must input the generator using 8-bit at a time

Show all your design step and use minimal gate for VHDL implementation or minimal cost for gate level implementation.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
YOU need to show YOUR best attempt to at least start YOUR homework problem. That gives us a starting point from which to help guide you.

Are you give a polynomial you are supposed to use, or do you get to choose it?

Do you understand what an 8-bit CRC is?

afrina_21

Joined Jun 5, 2016
YOU need to show YOUR best attempt to at least start YOUR homework problem. That gives us a starting point from which to help guide you.

Are you give a polynomial you are supposed to use, or do you get to choose it?

Do you understand what an 8-bit CRC is?
we get to choose the polynomial
yes, i do understand the 8-bit CRC which have 9 bits for its encoding

what i want to do first is to use parallel-in and serial-out shift register to input 8-bit in parallel.then use another shift register to move the bits to left and use the accumulator to do the division. is it the right way to do it?