Custom Soldered USB cable Not Working

stiener

Joined Dec 11, 2022
Wierd wire question. I am trying to make a custom/short usb cable going from Rasp Pi zero to FD Can adapter, so micro to micro usb.

My soldered cords dont work and store bought usb cables work fine! =(

Everything works fine except when I use my custom usb cable. Ive tried 4 pin and 5 pin. Using 26AWG and the cord is less than 100mm long. Also, the power from my usb cable works, just the Data lines are not working.

Is there anything I am missing? Any tricks?

Attachments

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
The PI has a fifth pin (sense) that needs to be connected to 0V to set the port to host configuration. Other than that how do you physically have the wires connected? D+ goes to D+ at the other side and D- goes to D- at the other end.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Wierd wire question.
I before E except after C. And in this case, after W also. "Weird wire question."
use properly colored wires
While the color of the wire doesn't matter to the electrons, it matters to someone who is working on it. There are standard colors for things like V+ and V-, D+ and D- and so on. But even that doesn't matter.
Continuity is good
Is it? If you've made a mistake in the wiring and test it out according to that mistake you could end up believing it's wired properly. I'm not familiar with how USB connectors are wired. I'd imagine that D+ and D- on opposite ends may look correct but they might be reversed. Since yours isn't working you might try changing one end, put D+ on what you believe to be D- and vice versa with the D-.
The PI has a fifth pin (sense) that needs to be connected to 0V to set the port to host configuration.
This might also be the root of the problem you're experiencing.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
OK, LET ME BE CLEAR! I don't KNOW if this is the right way. Maybe I'm making a mistake. Maybe it's the same mistake you MIGHT have made. Maybe not. But this is where my head is going:
1705857820217.png

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Shielding and impedance matching is very critical.
I'd take this to be highly authoritarian authoritative. (thank you Ya'akov for spotting the error) MrChips has proven time and again to be a very reliable source of information. I didn't even think about shielding.
1705858279625.png

Last edited:

stiener

Joined Dec 11, 2022
SOLVED!!
It was the ID pin.
On my 5 pin USB connector connected to the Rasp Pi, I attached the ID pin to ground. On the 5 pin connector connected to my CAN FD device, the ID pin is not attached to anything.
Solved.jpg

Thank you all! We do have fun here don't we =)

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Why not simply use a cabled USB plug and just cut the cable, leaving about 6 inches on and then strip the individual cores and use those, soldering to those rather than the plug itself is a much better idea and they'll likely already be color coded too making everything easier.

stiener

Joined Dec 11, 2022
Why not simply use a cabled USB plug and just cut the cable, leaving about 6 inches on and then strip the individual cores and use those, soldering to those rather than the plug itself is a much better idea and they'll likely already be color coded too making everything easier.
Space Constraints. I have no space to give to the rubber part attached to the connector. Cleaving it off is more frustrating than micro soldering imo haha.
Also, price. The regular cord is 8 bucks, or i can get 20 usb connectors for 8 bucks.
Rubber Part.png

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Space Constraints. I have no space to give to the rubber part attached to the connector. Cleaving it off is more frustrating than micro soldering imo haha.
Also, price. The regular cord is 8 bucks, or i can get 20 usb connectors for 8 bucks.
View attachment 313297
OK well get a smaller power soldering iron, the quality of that soldering is certainly sub-par, far from what you could do with more practice. When I was in college in Liverpool in the 1980s we had classes on soldering and it was taken very seriously, you were marked on your skills.

That soldering should be much neater and the plastic should not have melted! When I was a kid you could hardly make anything electronic without soldering, it was essential to master the art, today it seems it is needed far far less by hobbyists and so they don't develop proficiency.

stiener

Joined Dec 11, 2022
OK well get a smaller power soldering iron, the quality of that soldering is certainly sub-par, far from what you could do with more practice. When I was in college in Liverpool in the 1980s we had classes on soldering and it was taken very seriously, you were marked on your skills.

That soldering should be much neater and the plastic should not have melted! When I was a kid you could hardly make anything electronic without soldering, it was essential to master the art, today it seems it is needed far far less by hobbyists and so they don't develop proficiency.
I agree.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In addition to the other good advice, I suggest doing a continuity check on a manufactured cable that is known to work. There is no substitute for good information when verifying that connections are correct.
And certainly better soldering and much smaller wire will improve the chances of it working. Loose wandering wires as shown in the photo are noyt likely to function correctly at even 100 MHz.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'd take this to be highly authoritarian.
Not to be pedantic… (no really)

The word you want here is authoritative. There’s quite a difference, and what with @MrChips being a moderator—

This may well be attributable to a valiant effort at typing and the corrupting influence of autocorrect (pronounced “autocorrupt”), so I am not assuming you used the wrong word only that the wrong word ended up in the post.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Not to be pedantic… (no really)

The word you want here is authoritative. There’s quite a difference, and what with @MrChips being a moderator—

This may well be attributable to a valiant effort at typing and the corrupting influence of autocorrect (pronounced “autocorrupt”), so I am not assuming you used the wrong word only that the wrong word ended up in the post.
Could be autocorrect, could be auto-brain-fart. Lately I've been having issues with word recall. I KNOW what word I want but just can't make it connect with the tongue. Or the fingers as it may be.

Thanks for the correction. I'm going to edit that comment now.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Could be autocorrect, could be auto-brain-fart. Lately I've been having issues with word recall. I KNOW what word I want but just can't make it connect with the tongue. Or the fingers as it may be.

Thanks for the correction. I'm going to edit that comment now.
No harm done. I knew what you meant. Thanks for the praise.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Now consider soldering to an HDMI connector, which has 21 connections in about the same space. (or it might be 22 connections) And some of them use the very cheapest PC board material.