Custom graphics card

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
How can I make a custom graphics card with DSPIC or DSP TigerShark? Preferably DSPIC because its cheaper, I think its time we start thinking about our own computers and phones given how things are going. If we start slowly sooner or later we will reach where we need. There is a person in china who managed to make a 1 million dollar car for 26 000 dollars.

Can anyone give a circuit and some basic explanations to start with? I tried looking on the internet but I didnt find anything. I think there are at least 2 processors in a phone. One is for the actual calling and the other is for the so called smart (dum) functions.

EDIT: I think we should make it appropriate for linux if possible. Maybe Ubuntu or for starters some DOS version of Linux?

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
I remember reading about the Open Graphics Project which was based on an FPGA. After many years of commitment they quit because it was too difficult and too expensive to get anywhere meaningful. If I remember correctly the lead developer was/is an electronics PhD.
The official site is no longer with us.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Graphics_Project

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The era of rolling our own stuff appears to be mostly gone. Surface Mount Technology has raised the bar on the equipment needed to successfully fabricate and assemble a printed circuit board. There are no doubt DIY methods of approaching simple designs with a few chips, but I haven't seen anyone attempt the use of a BGA.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I remember the first computers being built in a garage.

The principle is this: the information is sent through usb 3 to the graphics card, the cars processes it and outputs it on a display. The audio CPU does the same, but outputs to the speakers.

Meaning we read the audio file and if needed decompress it and output it.

I have done similar things with DSP tigershark. Its neither hard nor impossible. The problem is tharlt today's manufacturers intentionally ruin quality so tomorrow they can give you 0.1% better product, tell you this is the new model, pay 20 times more and keep you as obedient slave shoppers forever.

This is why we have 4 core processors when we can do the same with a single core.

Its no different than a TFT display (its exactly the same as a TFT display). We don't need to make it perfect from the start, even 320 resolution will do, we just need to get the principles straight so we can make it later.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
You are still thinking that we need to do it like the rest..... No we need to do it in any way we can. With our knowledge and experience in our way. Even if its with an LCD display at the start.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You are still thinking that we need to do it like the rest..... No we need to do it in any way we can. With our knowledge and experience in our way. Even if its with an LCD display at the start.
I get that you're angry at the component manufacturers for not catering to the hobbyist community and I was there when computers were made in a garage. Like I said you can probably build one of anything you have the skills and the money for, but mass production is something else again. Building something on a PCB as a "community project" is not the same thing as doing Linux or Python. You're more than welcome to try anything your little heart desires, but don't be surprised if the roars of applause for your efforts are stillborn.

Notice how the broader community has been drawn to this thread in the last 2 and one-half days like ants to a honeypot?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I don't need applause. I need to be able to do the job needed. I was thinking why can't I put 3 PIC MCUs and make a simple phone from where we start. You can see pictures on it and type with a keyboard. We don't need mass production, we need something that will help our current week computers or give us what we need to survive.

This was the idea of the graphics card, something that you can plus into your USB and help take the load.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't need applause. I need to be able to do the job needed. I was thinking why can't I put 3 PIC MCUs and make a simple phone from where we start. You can see pictures on it and type with a keyboard. We don't need mass production, we need something that will help our current week computers or give us what we need to survive.

This was the idea of the graphics card, something that you can plus into your USB and help take the load.
You have not made a compelling case that I need such devices as you are proposing. I dunno is anybody else out there connecting with his plea?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I am not pleading, I am offering. The prices become higher, while the salaries remain the same, if we don't do something to survive, later it might be too late.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just see a bunch of effort to achieve results similar or less than the onboard graphics of a CPU and, then, a bunch of low volume production costs that drive up the price beyond what a commercial card costs. In the end, pay more for less - but we'll all be satisfied because we aren't buying from "the man". Well, my hippy days (daze?) are over. I press the easy button, pay the price, spend more time with my family and less time being angry about the success of "the man".

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Knowing that one phone is produced for 3 dollars and sold for 1000. You can keep giving more and be a slave to the rich. In Europe we have already tried that and we are not doing it again.

If we cant as technicians help at least our everyday technical problems than this world is already done for!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Knowing that one phone is produced for 3 dollars and sold for 1000. You can keep giving more and be a slave to the rich. In Europe we have already tried that and we are not doing it again.

If we cant as technicians help at least our everyday technical problems than this world is already done for!
$3? Really? Can you pull some data on that claim for me?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I can tell you other I interesting things as well.

In the US one house lasts 80 years, for the same price a house can last 200 years! That way your children will not have to work for a house again and be slaves to the banks forever paying.

First they start by offering the new houses built of cardboard to a smaller price until they get rid of the old way of thinking that better is always better and then they raise the prices to the same! They are trying to so it here as well, but it won't work!

This is why selling at the highest price possible with the lowest quality is a fatal mistake! Everything must be controlled!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The people who work in the outsourced factory in India. None will tell you this but me.
Ok. Maybe you misunderstood my question. I'm asking for more than your good word. Show me some evidence that one of the two $1000 phones on the market can be manufactured for $3.

IHS claims the parts alone, bought in highest volume price break will be close to $300. Not including...
- assembly,
- packaging,
- distribution,
- OS development
- advertising
- commission to retailer

By your estimate, I should be able to find displays for about $0.25. I need a few, please point me to your supplier.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I can tell you other I interesting things as well.

In the US one house lasts 80 years, for the same price a house can last 200 years! That way your children will not have to work for a house again and be slaves to the banks forever paying.

First they start by offering the new houses built of cardboard to a smaller price until they get rid of the old way of thinking that better is always better and then they raise the prices to the same! They are trying to so it here as well, but it won't work!

This is why selling at the highest price possible with the lowest quality is a fatal mistake! Everything must be controlled!

I better be careful, my 117-year-old house is way past it's lifetime!!!
How can I tell when it will be over! Please help me.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
If this was publicly admitted we would not have such problems! Just like the European automobile manufacturers were lying about the harmful emitions until they got caught, all the rest are lying as well!

Edit: I have to disable the auto complete!

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If this was publicly admitted we would not have such problems! Just like the European automobile manufacturers were lying about the harmful emotions until.they got caught, all the rest are lying as well!
You already let the cat out of the bag by telling us, now you can't point to your suppliers of $0.25 displays? I'm beginning to think you are making up stories to fit your needs instead of our reality. Come on, you can do it! Give me the link.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Don't turn this into a fun game, because it looks to you that the sun goes around the earth!

Anyone with enough brain in his head will figure out what he needs to know!

Example: an arduino MCU costs 3 dollars, an Intel MCU costs 300 dollars. They are produced in the same way with the same machines in the same factory type!

And the few miligrams of material inside that are different can not be worth this much!

It takes a person 10 years to buy a car, house, computer, phone and everything he needs to live for the rest of his life under normal circumstances. He only needs to buy food. However since we see its not so now, who puts the extra years of people in his pocket!?

Last edited: