curve tracer displays gabage on my rigol dso

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
Hi all,i built a classic design octopuss curve tracer a while ago for testing diodes etc,it works great on an old tek 453 scope in xy mode,also works fine on my old kenwood dso,i recently brought a rigol DS1052D scope,no matter what all i get is nonsense displayed,thats using xy mode,ive fiddled with all controls but i cant get the expected pattens displayed,any ideas?TIA

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
well i have had a fiddle and got the propper "L" shape displayed for a diode junction and a horiz line for o/c and a verticle for s/c trouble is tho whatever is diplayed keeps jumping from left to right at about twice a second and by about 2 divisions,works but is hard on the eyes,any ideas?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
well i have had a fiddle and got the propper "L" shape displayed for a diode junction and a horiz line for o/c and a verticle for s/c trouble is tho whatever is diplayed keeps jumping from left to right at about twice a second and by about 2 divisions,works but is hard on the eyes,any ideas?
I've found that the XY mode sucks on some of the budget DSO models (Rigol). The display buffer model they use causes tearing because of slow updates. You can try to reduce the aquisition memory size/memory depth and deselect things like Hi-Res modes to see if it's better.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...c-and-xy-axis-on-my-scope.155253/post-1340739

Last edited:

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
actualy its now looking fine,not realy sure what i did tho to be honest,i just need to see if its possible to store all the settings,it was on my hp dso but dont know about this rigol.,i had a huntron tracker but the multitap transfo went o/c on the primary,handy tool for checking transistor /diode junctions in circuit once you get used to it,at least this rigol setup will be able to do most of the same as my old tracker now,cheers all,now all i want to do is see if i can hack this rigol to 100mhz bandwith,or brick it lol.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hi all,i built a classic design octopuss curve tracer a while ago for testing diodes etc,it works great on an old tek 453 scope in xy mode,also works fine on my old kenwood dso,i recently brought a rigol DS1052D scope,no matter what all i get is nonsense displayed,thats using xy mode,ive fiddled with all controls but i cant get the expected pattens displayed,any ideas?TIA
Your Rigol DS1052D scope:

https://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/1000/#ds1000d/ds1052d/

Read the 'D' datasheet- which means you're probably limited to 50, rather than 100.

https://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-0024/0/-/-/-/-/file.pdf

Did you ever figure out what the best settings are for using a curve tracer with your Rigol? I'm using a DS1102 with a simple breadboard octopus and I can't get anything on the screen except a dot in the center. I had a similar problem when I used this scope at a class I took a while ago. They provided a professionally made curve tracer and the teacher did something to get it working--wish I'd written it down.