Current sensor for Arduino

ChipCircuit

Joined May 1, 2023
Hi Folks,
I am trying to interface a current sensor module with Arduino. The sensor module should sense current value less than 0.9mA from the external circuitry. Which is the best current sensor to buy of this purpose?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Since a Hall sensor measures the Hall Voltage of a magnetic field, are you of the opinion that you can infer the magnitude of the current that produces the magnetic field?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
If I am using opamp and shunt resistor circuitry, how can i power up opamp from Arduino, opamp needs +vcc and - vcc ryt?
We don't have enough information to give you a good answer.
What is the circuit of which you are trying to measure its current?
What is the maximum value of series current measurement resistor it can tolerate?
What is the electrical relationship of the circuit power supply with respect to the Arduino supply?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
what is the stigma with using opamps? and why not use one designed for current sensing?

something like INA139/169 or similar may be a good choice and it is a low cost, compact device.

i never understood types asking for advice but not stating the problem with enough of details or answering the questions.
is this 'up to 0.9mA' circuit isolated or not? what is it? what voltage drop is tolerable? what is the voltage at point where current measurement is to be taken? is the measurement supposed to support bidirectional current?

ChipCircuit

Joined May 1, 2023
What is the maximum value of series current measurement resistor it can tolerate?
What is the electrical relationship of the circuit power supply with respect to the Arduino supply?
Currently, I am using a test set up like this for measuring current and voltage. For peak to peak voltage 3.7V, I am getting current less than 1.3mA. I want to replace these multimeters, and automate measurements using Arduino board. While searching online, I came across Hall effect sensors and current sensing circuits, that's why I posted my query here for advice.
View attachment 313326

Attachments

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Currently, I am using a test set up like this for measuring current and voltage. For peak to peak voltage 3.7V, I am getting current less than 1.3mA. I want to replace these multimeters, and automate measurements using Arduino board. While searching online, I came across Hall effect sensors and current sensing circuits, that's why I posted my query here for advice.
View attachment 313326
You offered no evidence that a Hall Effect sensor would be able to do the job. They don't measure current they measure magnetic fields and the field around a wire carrying 1 mA is miniscule. I estimate that 1 mA at 0.125 inches from a wire produces a magnetic field of 62.99 nanoTesla. I'm not sure there is a Hall Effect sensor that can measure that small field. 2mT seems to be about as small as they go. That is between 4 and 5 orders of magnitude smaller than a 2mT sensor can measure.