Current requirements for CD drive?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am using an ASUS CRW-4816A drive as the basis for a standalone CD player. I will take the analog audio out from the RGGL connector on the rear of the drive, and input that into a small audio amp, which will have its own power supply.

The specifications for the power required for the drive are 12V at 1.5A, and 5V at .9A. It seems to me that the .9A for the 5V is probably overstated. Does anyone here have first hand experience with the actual 5V current required for a CD drive? Thanks.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Years ago I did some test for a computer forum I was active with and hardware test site. I don't know where my numbers went but if nobody has the data you want I should be able to find an adapter and get you some numbers. I do know the numbers I got for both 12 and 5 volt current were considerably lower than the nameplate data on the drives.

Ron

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Years ago I did some test for a computer forum I was active with and hardware test site. I don't know where my numbers went but if nobody has the data you want I should be able to find an adapter and get you some numbers. I do know the numbers I got for both 12 and 5 volt current were considerably lower than the nameplate data on the drives.

Ron
That's what I was hoping. I have a 12V adapter that will suffice, but I was hoping to use an LM7805 circuit to get the 5V. I plan to patch it together this afternoon, and take some current measurements. I will post the results. Thanks.