Current of base and collector in shunt regulator

jiangiang

Joined Jul 24, 2012
Hi, I'm doing on a assignment and stuck on this question.

How can i find the zener diode current and the collector current?
Very appreciate for anyone help:)

Last edited:

mlog

Joined Feb 11, 2012
What has you stuck? Can you find any of the answers? Try finding VRL at the load resistor. That is easy and should get you started.

mlog

Joined Feb 11, 2012
I'd found the VRL and IL, and the question need me to find the Iz and Ic, this two current i have no idea how to start
You were told Is and you now know IL. You should be able to calculate the combined current of Iz and Ic.

Notice that Iz is also your base current. The transistor's current gain, β will provide the relationship between the base and collector currents.

You will probably have to make an assumption about the β or current gain. Look it up in a 2N3904 data sheet.

Does this make sense to you? Let us know what you find.

mlog

Joined Feb 11, 2012
You're making this more difficult than it should be. I would assume the transistor is at room temperature, say 25°C. So follow that curve over to the collector current on the x-axis. What did you find for Ic? What do you read on the y-axis for hFE?

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
But in your opinion, what is the easier way to find beta from the datasheet ?
Look in the data sheet "Electrical Characteristics" table for the Hfe value at the collector current closest to the current in your circuit. Generally you want to use the minimum Hfe value column which gives you the worst-case maximum base current.

jiangiang

Joined Jul 24, 2012
Look in the data sheet "Electrical Characteristics" table for the Hfe value at the collector current closest to the current in your circuit. Generally you want to use the minimum Hfe value column which gives you the worst-case maximum base current.
Thanks again, i will try it :)

mlog

Joined Feb 11, 2012
Thank you very much.
But in your opinion, what is the easier way to find beta from the datasheet ?
The collector current is ~50 ma. Follow the vertical line upwards from 50 mA on the x-axis. Find the point where it intersects the 25°C curve and read across to the left on the y-axis. It looks like ~200 to me. If you expect the transistor to get hotter or colder, then use the other temperature curves.

The other way is to use the table near the front of the data sheet. It will specify a few points that might be close to your operating current or voltage. It can give you a rough idea of the β. You want to be conservative though as someone else mentioned.