Current of balanced three phase

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
This is the question. What is the normal operating current of a balanced three phase 15kw heater (delta connected) when applied to balanced voltage 440/3/60

I got 19.7 A

Calc I used-- volts x amps x 3 sq/1000 = 19.7

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is the question. What is the normal operating current of a balanced three phase 15kw heater (delta connected) when applied to balanced voltage 440/3/60

I got 19.7 A

Calc I used-- volts x amps x 3 sq/1000 = 19.7
How did you use that calculation? No where are you using the power at all. What is "sq" mean? "square", "square root"? Square or square root of what?

Look at your units.

On the right hand side you have 19.7, which you apparently mean 19.7A.

Does the left hand side yield units of amps?

Since you did get the correct answer, I'll show you how you might consider presenting your work:

Power in a balanced three-phase circuit:

P = V*I*sqrt(3)

where V is the phase-to-phase voltage and I is the line current. Thus

I = P/(V*sqrt(3)) // EDIT: Parens in denominator added to fix the mistake that LDC3 caught.

I = 15kW/(440Vrms*sqrt(3)) = 19.7Arms

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Now who is getting sloppy? ;)
I believe it's:
I = P/(V*sqrt(3))
You are absolutely correct!

Interestingly, I originally wrote

I = V*sqrt(3)/P

and then went

I = 440Vrms*sqrt(3)/15kW = 19.7Arms

I had calculated the 19.7Arms on a calculator previously to verify the OP's answer and did the algebra mentally and so did not actually evaluate the above equation numerically.

But then, as is my engrained habit, I checked the units and clearly V/W does not yield A, so I caught the major mistake immediately. This happens of a very regular basis, both when I am writing a post and when I am working a live problem that I'm getting paid for. I patched it by simply copying the denominator from the right to the left and repositioning the division sign - and introduced the mistake you caught.

In my own defense, I have frequently pointed out that this particular mistake is a very natural and easy one to make and that, no matter how diligent you are, you are virtually guaranteed to still make it from time to time. The diligence and habit merely push the occurance rate down into the mud.

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
How did you use that calculation? No where are you using the power at all. What is "sq" mean? "square", "square root"? Square or square root of what?

Look at your units.

On the right hand side you have 19.7, which you apparently mean 19.7A.

Does the left hand side yield units of amps?

Since you did get the correct answer, I'll show you how you might consider presenting your work:

Power in a balanced three-phase circuit:

P = V*I*sqrt(3)

where V is the phase-to-phase voltage and I is the line current. Thus

I = P/(V*sqrt(3)) // EDIT: Parens in denominator added to fix the mistake that LDC3 caught.

I = 15kW/(440Vrms*sqrt(3)) = 19.7Arms
This is the symbol I meant (3√)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So what would 16√9 be? would it be 4*9=36 or 16*3=48?

The convention I've always seen (could be different elsewhere, I realize) is that the thing being taken the square root of goes under the radical and the radical has that check-mark looking part on the left side. Thus, if you only have that character is a text only situation, the thing that you are taking the square root of goes to the right. This is also consistent with the usual convention used with infix notation in which unary operators, like operate on a single operand that is located to the right of the operator. So √9 would be 3 and 9√ would be undefinted, just like 9- would be undefined.

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
So what would 16√9 be? would it be 4*9=36 or 16*3=48?

The convention I've always seen (could be different elsewhere, I realize) is that the thing being taken the square root of goes under the radical and the radical has that check-mark looking part on the left side. Thus, if you only have that character is a text only situation, the thing that you are taking the square root of goes to the right. This is also consistent with the usual convention used with infix notation in which unary operators, like operate on a single operand that is located to the right of the operator. So √9 would be 3 and 9√ would be undefinted, just like 9- would be undefined.
It would be 48

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Agreed. So hopefully that means you will stop using that notation since you now appear to agree that it is confusing.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Shifting gears a bit, if you haven't already done so, it might be good for you to see if you can derive that equation that you used, namely

P = V*I*sqrt(3)

for a balanced three phase load and show that it applies for both wye and delta connected generators and loads.

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
Shifting gears a bit, if you haven't already done so, it might be good for you to see if you can derive that equation that you used, namely

P = V*I*sqrt(3)

for a balanced three phase load and show that it applies for both wye and delta connected generators and loads.
25kw/√3 *440=19.7A

Anyone know why I cant seem to be able to post to this thing? I need help with 2 circuit analysis questions but cant upload questions via a new thread??

Go advanced button? I am new to the site :( I am studying electronics and require some assistance with a couple of questions I have on PDF and want to upload for help....

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Please start a new thread if you have questions of your own.
Here is how to handle the attachments:

From the FAQ:

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Anyone know why I cant seem to be able to post to this thing? I need help with 2 circuit analysis questions but cant upload questions via a new thread??
What is the error message (or behavior) that you are encountering.

There is a known problem with thread titles that are too long. There's a sticky at the top of one of the forums explaining that one.