current flow help

SWIT

Joined Jul 16, 2006
i need to know wat the current flow is if an inductor of 500mH is connected in parallel with a 1k resistor across a 110v, 60Hz source whats the current flow

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Solve for the impedance of the inductor, and treat it as a resistor in parallel with the fixed resistor. The values will be RMS volts and amps.

SWIT

Joined Jul 16, 2006
do u have a formula that could help me out cause i dont seem to get it i have a shity teacher thanx

SWIT

Joined Jul 16, 2006
thats the thing i dont know how to solve for impedence ive been trying to look for the formula and cant find it my teacher is whorthless

SWIT

Joined Jul 16, 2006
thats not helping cause u have to have current for that formula and thats what im trying to find out

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
beenthere said:
Hi,

Solve for the impedance of the inductor, and treat it as a resistor in parallel with the fixed resistor. The values will be RMS volts and amps.
This is certainly the most straight forward method of answering this question. From one of the above links from JoeJester, the inductive reactance XL is given by:

XL = 2*pi*f*L

All of this information is given in you original question.

Knowing this and applying simple circuit analysis will yield the answer.

If you post up your attempts it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

Dave