Crush St Valentine's Day

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ionaries-plot-to-crush-St-Valentines-Day.html
Japanese revolutionaries plot to 'crush St Valentine's Day'
Group of single Japanese men complain that the schmaltz of Valentine's Day is an attempt by "oppressive chocolate capitalists" to exploit consumers

The group, known as Kakuhido, which translates roughly as the Revolutionary Alliance of Men that Women find Unattractive, will march for an hour and a half through Tokyo's Shibuya district.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
American Greetings cards
I had a good idea for a Hallmark Moment while talking to some friends a couple of days ago.
A Condolence card that has one of those annoying audio players inside, and it plays, "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead". :rolleyes:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The only thing worse than the concocted Valentines day is Sweetest Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetest_Day ). Cleveland is the home of American Greetings cards. I was amazed how seriously people take it here.

John
I sat next to the CEO of American Greeting on a plane one day. Zev Weiss. The son or grandson of the founder. He was real anxious to promote his company and talk about all of the characters he has licensed. Poor guy didn't know what to say when I asked him about Web-based greeting cards. That was about 10 years ago already! Apparently, they are still in business.

By the way, Kansas City is the other greeting card Capitol.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Sweetest Day ... it was never celebrated where I grew up ... in Delaware. Never heard of it until about 15 years ago, and every year thereafter when my girlfriend - turned - wife from Michigan reminds me that I keep forgetting sweetest day.

I told her it was probably a marketing ploy to sell more candy and cards ....

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Most probably, by the end of each raid, they meet, have some beers and comment how funny it was.

Otherwise, doing that seriously would be a pitiful thing, like, those guys attending regularly forums about electronics, trying to learn how to measure the ESR in a cap or completing a set of varied constant current sources (also sinks, actually).

After his girlfriend left him, he found a way to be "famous" by getting his own "15 minutes".

I expect to build the PSU on this weekend, BTW.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"Oppressive chocolate capitalists"
Funny the buzzwords that mean, "bad".
In this country it would be, "Communist chocolate terrorists".

and, no, I have never heard of Sweetest Day.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It's year round chocolate and Ice Cream in Utah (Mormon State) and Meh, to the Cards. I alway give one because it's cheaper than Diamonds. :p

kv

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The one thing that Valentine's Day always reminds me of is just how damn lucky I am in the lady I found. I've been bombarded with commercials on the radio about how when a woman says she doesn't want anything for Valentine's Day she really means she expects to be "surprised" with something "special" for Valentine's Day. Of course, what constitutes "special" depends on the advertiser -- everything from flowers to chocolates to diamonds. My wife stated that she didn't want me to get her anything for Valentine's Day and I took her at her word -- just like I have for the last six years (i.e., since we met) -- and got her nothing, not even a card. She means it. If she wants something bad enough she will go get it and she knows I will, too; we get few gifts for each other, even for Christmas, and when we do it is something small and inexpensive. She is much more touched by a spoken wish for a happy day or a small token of acknowledgement or gratitude. For my birthday she gave me an orange with a candle in it. The next morning when I left I wrote a short, maybe eight word thank you note of a napkin and put it where the orange was. She put that napkin into her box of keepsakes. Now, maybe that's more an indicator of how little I show my appreciation and how she has decided to treasure whatever she can get, but she cares about substance and not superficial gestures and a kind word spoken sincerely speaks volumes to her heart in a way that no diamond every will.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm lucky that my wife's birthday is a week after V day. I can give her something special then without being a "Communist chocolate terrorist" but I do pickup candy for half price the day after Valentine's Day. :D

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DerStrom8 Off-Topic 14
T General Electronics Chat 3
loosewire Off-Topic 10