Credit Card Goopum

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Ever receive a credit card or other plastic card in the mail, and it's stuck to a cover letter with a small dab of clear, rubbery adhesive on the back? The stuff I'm talking about shows good adhesion but is easily removable from both the plastic card and the porous paper of the letter without leaving any residue; it's odorless; it stretches to many times its relaxed length; and it appears to have been applied as a liquid.

I thought perhaps it might be some sort of "hot-glue" product, but it's far more rubbery than any hot glue I've ever seen. I looked at Glue Dots, but the product description for those doesn't quite square with what I'm seeing. And its easy-release behavior leads me to believe it's not rubber cement, either.

Does anybody know what this goop is? I want some, as I can see some hobby uses for it as well as application in the grandkids' crafts.

Any ideas?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
3M Gummy Glue? Sounds like it.
Yeah, that sounds like the stuff. Found it on Amazon, but sold only in a case of 770 sticks for ≈$350. I'm not after sticking everything in the universe to everything else in the universe, though...

AKA Booger glue!!:p
Good name for it!

Thanks. Maybe I can find it elsewhere in smaller, more affordable lots.

Yeah, that sounds like the stuff. Found it on Amazon, but sold only in a case of 770 sticks for ≈$350. I'm not after sticking everything in the universe to everything else in the universe, though...

Good name for it!

Thanks. Maybe I can find it elsewhere in smaller, more affordable lots.
That stuff annoys my shredder.

You didn't say what you needed it for, but I really like this putty: https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_U...oz-White/?N=4335+3294529207+3294602205&rt=rud

I use it over and over again and it has some impressive holding power.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
While on the subject of adhesives, I keep a fairly wide selection of various types in order to cover as many applications as possible.
But one, which evidently has been around since 1932 that I had never heard of until a few years ago, was Durhams Water putty.
Especially if working with wood, it has many multi-use advantages as an adhesive and a filler etc.
And Very cheap.
Growing up in the UK I had never heard of it there.
Max.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
But one, which evidently has been around since 1932 that I had never heard of until a few years ago, was Durhams Water putty.
Do they still make that? Haven't seen it for a long time. Should have Googled before asking, they do still make it, but it seems like it's only available in big cans.

One of my great grandads was a cabinet maker and used it to fill nail and screw holes. He had some kind of color dyes he mixed in it to match the different wood tones.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
While on the subject of adhesives, I keep a fairly wide selection of various types in order to cover as many applications as possible.
Especially if working with wood, it has many multi-use advantages as an adhesive and a filler etc.
And Very cheap.
Growing up in the UK I had never heard of it there.
Max.
An excellent product. A little known niche use for it, is in the manufacture of puppets. It’s properties are ideal for puppet heads, hands and feet.