Creating a circuit to trigger a bulb when the doorbell is pushed

JezBond

Joined Dec 24, 2018
Hi. I would like to custom build a mains powered wired door bell system whereby the push button at the front door operates switchable sounders in two locations and lights in two other locations.

I am opting for wired as I have more confidence in the longevity of the unit and the ability to fix it if anything goes wrong down the line - and for mains powered (with battery back up) as I don’t want to be reliant on batteries. Running cables is not an issue as I am doing a major refurb and my whole house is currently gutted.

The reason for the sounders being switchable is to be able to isolate them in case we need to turn one off because for it might wake a sleeping child. This is of course easily achieved by wiring that branch of the circuit through a basic switch.

However I need some advice on how to achieve the light units. We would like these as one will be in a music studio room where a sounder might disturb recording and the other in the main living space where during a noisy party a sounder may not be heard.

Essentially I need the sort of control inbuilt to an extractor fan whereby the unit takes a permanent live, switched live and neutral and, just like a bathroom fan stays on for a set period of time after the bathroom light gets switched off, here the light bulb would stay on for a few seconds (or perhaps flash for a few seconds) after the doorbell is pressed. Can someone please advise on what I need to buy to rig this up?

Many thanks. And Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

Jez

JezBond

Joined Dec 24, 2018
Thanks so much for that. Really useful. I can see how I would connect it all up if the unit you recommended was used as the push button itself (at the front door). But as I want to use a more vintage style brass push button at the front door how would we connect this unit up? Presumably we would take the two wires out of the push button at the front door and have to solder each wire onto the two points of the unit which would usually make contact when the unit’s button is pressed? Or am I missing a trick? Do the contacts at the back of the unit perhaps allow the same thing without having to open it up and solder? Thanks so much. And please excuse my ignorance. I can work most things out and have completely refurbed a few properties but rather new to the micro world of electronics! Thanks in advance ;)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Where are you located?

Here in the US, my doorbell runs on 16-24 Vac. A small optocoupler circuit across the doorbell can control a standard or solid state relay to drive the loads. Are all of the switched devices running on mains, or are you switching a DC power source?

ak

JezBond

Joined Dec 24, 2018
Thanks. I'm in the UK. Will be designing the system from scratch – so all options open at this point. I believe we would run them all low voltage.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
It is very likely that the unit operates by a single contact switch being made.

Other things you need to consider; the switch contacts may be in a mains voltage circuit (although the unit incorporates a transformer) if so, your doorbell switch will need rating for this voltage and if exposed to rain should be a minimum of IPX4 rated.

I suggest you contact the ebay seller advising of what you propose to do with the unit, and ask pertinent questions to allow you to determine whether it is suitable for your proposed application.