Creating a 4x1 Mux that can take a 4 bit input and output a 4 bit signal

samtbryant

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Good afternoon;

I am working on a 8 bit calculator for school (the beginning stages). Right now we are making a 4x1 mux that takes in 4 bit input and send a 4 bit output. I have a 1 bit 4 by one mux set up in logism. However; this is where I get stuck. my notes say create 2 2x1 mux's to make a 4x1. I have tried several ways and can't get the right output. I only get the right output when I have 8 inputs. However, the assignment requires only 4 inputs. I would appreciate insight as to how to create this circuit.

Thank you

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Right now we are making a 4x1 mux that takes in 4 bit input and send a 4 bit output.
By definition, a 4:1 mux has 4 inputs, 2 control inputs, and one output.

Please post schematics for the circuits you're referencing.

As this is homework, forum guidelines are to provide guidance, but not answers. You need to show us your best efforts so we can see where you're going astray.

samtbryant

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Of course, completely understood. I have included my designs. I have attempted increasing the bit flow but it doesn't work due to the signal bits need to be just one bit.

2x1 Mux.JPG 4x1 Mux.JPG 2x1 Mux.JPG 4x1 Mux.JPG 4x1 added to 2x1.JPG Priority Encoder.JPG Verification Circuit.JPG
Welcome to AAC!
By definition, a 4:1 mux has 4 inputs, 2 control inputs, and one output.

Please post schematics for the circuits you're referencing.

As this is homework, forum guidelines are to provide guidance, but not answers. You need to show us your best efforts so we can see where you're going astray.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
However; this is where I get stuck. my notes say create 2 2x1 mux's to make a 4x1.
I don't see where you're trying to implement a 4:1 mux using 2:1 muxes; and I don't think you can do it with just 2.

EDIT: Relevant images from the docx file:
upload_2018-9-5_19-18-26.png

upload_2018-9-5_19-18-50.png
upload_2018-9-5_19-19-19.png

Last edited:

samtbryant

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Yea that is where I am stuck. I don't know the process on how to do that? Do we attach the output of the 2x1 into the inputs of the 4x1? Is it the other way around?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yea that is where I am stuck. I don't know the process on how to do that? Do we attach the output of the 2x1 into the inputs of the 4x1? Is it the other way around?
I'd seek clarification of the instructions.

If you wanted to make a 4 input AND gate and only had 2 input AND gates, you could do it, but you can't do it with just 2 of the 2 input gates.