Cows Dying Of Electrocution on Farm

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I just heard on the news that a local farmer has cows dying of electrocution on his farm. Apparently there are "stray" currents running through his property (Earth) and putting his cows down. If this is the case, how is it so? I understand Earth to be zero voltage reference for all things electrical. Am I wrong in thinking this? I realise that ground is part of a circuit going back to the generating station but it is so widespread, how can a concentrated amount be killing his cows? Do they have no resistance? I am perplexed in Ontario, Canada?

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
"there was leakage of electricity from a cable under the parade ring in the area where the incident occurred."

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Probably not much risk to humans since we normally wear shoes with synthetic soles and our feet are closer together. There is also the position of the heart in relation to currents flowing between the feet which, I think, is likely to be more significant for four-legged animals.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The "stray voltage" that farmers talk about has nothing to do with direct contact to a cable. When I was growing up in central minnesota, there was a big deal of a new power line going through some farms. These farmers were complaining how bad these high voltage lines were and protested and protested until, you guessed it, they got the price they wanted for each pole on their property or power line running over their property. There were various hoaxes of cows near by getting electrocuted by other power lines. News stories of a farmer showing how he could light a small bulbs by simply holding a transformer under the power line - not even connected to the plug - they called it "stray voltage".

I think the OP should investigate the possible ulterior motives of the farmer before he looks for technical reasons for an electrocution.

EDIT: I am no longer convinced of my information above- read the link in Post 16 below.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Apparently post mortem electrocuted horses store a capacitive charge:
There was immediate veterinary attention, and our inquiry on the day noted the racecourse veterinary surgeons felt a tingling sensation when examining the horses
I'm calling bull. Someone realized they bet too much money on a hopeless horse and so killed the competition. Multiple parties have motive to cover that up.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Apparently post mortem electrocuted horses store a capacitive charge:

I'm calling bull. Someone realized they bet too much money on a hopeless horse and so killed the competition. Multiple parties have motive to cover that up.
The horse was probably still lying on the electrified ground when it received "immediate veterinary attention".

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there is current flowing through the earth,, tryh putting two rods into the ground spaced apart, and an ac volt meter connected to them. often you will find current flow. houses and power lines with unballanced current in the phases feeding them cause ground currents to flow back to the power line or power plant.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
OK so far no reasonable explanations? This is a problem big enough to warrant our hydro company to get involved so it is real. The guy has lost over 100 cows in 13 years and has roughly 2 volts and 800mA running through his property. He has installed a couple of boxes which cut the stray voltage in half so I don't think this is a hoax. My questions still remains, "how is it possible"?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
OK so far no reasonable explanations? This is a problem big enough to warrant our hydro company to get involved so it is real. The guy has lost over 100 cows in 13 years and has roughly 2 volts and 800mA running through his property. He has installed a couple of boxes which cut the stray voltage in half so I don't think this is a hoax. My questions still remains, "how is it possible"?
Center tapped transformers (grounded center tap) with unbalanced loads. Farm is between the usage point and power plant.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Okay now we are getting somewhere. Apparently another farmer sued the government and won so it is a real problem. I seen a bill that was put forth to the government and passed two readings. Makes you wonder?