Counter Circuit

fkrtk123

Joined Feb 16, 2016
Hi all,
I would like to build a counter circuit for my project.

Basically, i need a counter that turns on the product for a specified number from a time range of 5-30 seconds
and i need it to turn off the product for a different specified time also of the range 5-30 seconds.

So far i have two 5 bit counters connected through and AND gate to a 5 bit binary switch, i would like to know
how i could toggle between the two counters.

For example i want the device kept ON for 20 seconds then OFF for 10 seconds. After that repeating the cycle of ON for 20 seconds
and OFF for 10 seconds.

Any recommendations of the logic circuit or the possible ics i could use?

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
use a cheap PIC (1$ approx.) , a dc power source (3v3 to 5V) and few lines of programming.
The output on/off ? want a serial monitor also?
Time accuracy second per month?

fkrtk123

Joined Feb 16, 2016
use a cheap PIC (1$ approx.) , a dc power source (3v3 to 5V) and few lines of programming.
Thank you that would save alot of digital ics. I could command it to repeat the ON and OFF cycle to about 30000 to 50000 times right?

fkrtk123

Joined Feb 16, 2016
Oh wait i realized we aren't able to use a programmable chip... Is there a digital circuit i could adopt for the toggle transition between ON and OFF?

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Oh wait i realized we aren't able to use a programmable chip... Is there a digital circuit i could adopt for the toggle transition between ON and OFF?
Everybody is able to use programmable chips but they might be not allowed to do so.
This looks like home work hence a designer must be free to select its components.
No problem but then it should be in the home work section.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The two AND gate signals go to the set and reset inputs of a flipflop. The FF outputs go to the Reset inputs of the two counters. When counter A reaches its terminal value, it sets the FF. This resets counter A and releases the reset of the counter B. When counter B reaches its terminal count, it resets the FF. This resets counter B and releases the reset from counter A.

ak

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In the homework section, the Thread Starters rarely get to deviate too far from their assignments. Using a PIC might be the "best" option, but it's a lousy option when you must use counters or discrete devices.