Count up timer

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
MrChips said:
Can't we just stick with Snakes & Ladders?
MCU88 said:
Looks like insanity to me.
Chickens. :p

Okay, this looks doable. To summarize, you need a total of two counters, but sometimes you'll only use one. Depending on the number of players, the counter(s) will be started and stopped by either the jack or foot pedal(s).

Looks like we can use digital hardware for the whole thing if we want. A three-way toggle can be used to control which switch starts and stops the counter(s).

To the other members, would a 555 astable set to 100Hz be accurate enough or do we need to go with a crystal-based circuit?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ok, thanks. As a programming type of course I am going to say that a microcontroller is the best way to go. The variations in the rules, which are dependent on the number of players, can best be implemented via software.

I now understand your various sensors. They can be easily adapted to either discrete logic or a uC. I am assuming that the counters are built independently, with a start/stop input and a reset.

You have inputs from the tire jack, and two shoes. 4 pins are needed for the sensors. Then there is a switch to select 1,2 or 3 player mode. Two pins are needed for this. You have 2 counters. You can operate both with 2 pins, You'll probably need a setup switch and that is another pin. If you have reset buttons on the counter displays themselves, this is a total of 9 pins. Since the steps required for each race are fairly simple, I'd code them in separate blocks and execute the appropriate code depending on the player select switch (I have a diagram of the player select switch on my computer at home, and will attach it if we get to that point)

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
You've been talking around in circles for weeks on end with clashing and changing schemas. I would have had the project done and documented and ready to be paid by now.
Says the person who just stated this project looks like insanity and joined AAC two weeks ago. This thread was started one week ago and we've been working with the OP to help him define all his requirements which we just got today. As with most projects here, defining the requirements is a moving target at first. The purpose of AAC is for those with experience in electronics to offer free help voluntarily to those without. It comes at the cost of spare time. If you're expecting to get paid here, you're in the wrong forum I'm afraid. If you're trying to sound superior at least get your facts straight and maybe hang around the forum for more than a couple of weeks to see how we help others before judging us. :(

As a programming type of course I am going to say that a microcontroller is the best way to go. The variations in the rules, which are dependent on the number of players, can best be implemented via software.
I do like the uC route. I was looking at the PICAXE as it is simple to learn, but I worry about the accuracy of a self-generated clock - PICAXE's are not known for their timing accuracy, especially when carrying out multiple tasks simultaneously. An Arduino would probably do it, but I wouldn't be of much help there myself.

I think MrChips suggestion of a CD4026 with a 555 would work nicely. I'm game if djsfantasi would like to come up with a uC solution and I can work on a hardware-only one (unless MrChips would prefer to do this, being his idea and all). Fun to compare a uC solution with a hardware one once in a while. :)

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
All...
Yeah, I'm out there with this one.....
"But we all got to start somewhere...."
Sorry I'm frustrating some of you, it wasn't my intention.
I appreciate everything and maybe later when I gain a little "chip knowledge" I can help someone too.
Stranger things have happened.
Thanks to EM, Chips, and Djs for hanging in there.
Stand by and I think I can simplify the game further....once I meet with the Fair Board in my town.
Talk to you again on Monday..
D.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think MrChips suggestion of a CD4026 with a 555 would work nicely. I'm game if djsfantasi would like to come up with a uC solution and I can work on a hardware-only one (unless MrChips would prefer to do this, being his idea and all). Fun to compare a uC solution with a hardware one once in a while. :)
I'm game! Can't wait for Monday.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Well, I learned today that the Fair Board will not allocate any money for this project.
Small town politics....
It's disappointing cause I wanted to tackle it....
So....at least we've only wasted a little brain power and the upside is that I've learned some things re: about how to build a counter display.
Thank you all for your time, expertise, and friendship.
D.