Could anyone suggest me how could we choose our own antenna structure for design?

aswinkumar

Joined Nov 24, 2015
For example for designing a rectangular microstrip patch antenna there are mathematical formulas for calculating dimensions, selection of substrate material also depend on that if we design for a specific frequency.

My doubt is whether all the antenna structures have their own equation for calculating dimensions and on what baiss we have to choose the substrate material?

Could anyone suggest me how could we choose our own antenna structure for design?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It starts with articulating your design requirements. Once you have your requirements you do the design. Once you have the design you verify that the design meets the requirements. If the design meets the requirements, then you chose wisely and you may proceed to the next level. If the design does not meet the requirements then you must go back and revise the requirements or do another design. This is the way life and Engineering work young Jedi.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
"Patch antenna" suguests a microwave antenna. search for microwave antenna tutorials. the ARRL has several pretty good books on microwaves and antenna design.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
(Some text removed for clarity)

Think about how your product is going to be used and decide the best kind of radiation pattern for that application. The most important aspects in my way of thinking are gain and radiation pattern. Notice that each antenna design is a tradeoff between these two parameters, and the radiation pattern is usually the most important of the two.

Once you pick a radiation pattern, look at the radiation patters for lots of antennas. Pick one that looks right, then find the design guidelines and formulas for that kind of antenna. If you can make that antenna work with our packaging constraints, go with it. If not, keep looking.

kyka

Joined Jun 7, 2015
Actually, the most important parameters in an antenna is the radiation pattern and the input impedance. Even if you get the best gain/directivity/etc, it is useless if you can't match it with the rest of your circuit.

aswinkumar

Joined Nov 24, 2015
For study and analysis purpose i am going through the paper which i have attached herein with it, According to this paper how could the author choose two different substrate and how he might have arrived to get the dimension of those substrate material could any one find a hint in this paper,...! this paper is just designing a circular microstrip patch antenna alone ,only for gain enhancement he has gone with conical horn structure.

Attachments