corrupt MS Excel (XLS and XLSX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lackufraz

Joined Nov 26, 2015
have important MS Excel file data and unfortunately got damage due to virus attacks, so my crucial Excel sheet got lost, How to repair corrupt MS Excel (XLS and XLSX) Files. If have any solution please assist me.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
have important MS Excel file data and unfortunately got damage due to virus attacks, so my crucial Excel sheet got lost, How to repair corrupt MS Excel (XLS and XLSX) Files. If have any solution please assist me.
Depending on the type of damage I suspect that repair might be impossible. The file was probably run through an encryption algorithm.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can take a look if you care to attach the file, or send it in a PM. No guarantees, but I have quite a lot of experience with Excel and file recovery.

Once you're sure you are completely clear of the threats, download (URL OF PAY SITE REMOVED) and install it. It's a free utility and works well but if the sheet was open when the attack hit, you may not be able to reconstitute it. If you search your system for files with names starting with a $ symbol, you might find the temporary file Excel creates as soon as you open the original. That could be recovered as the files before you started working on it the last time.

(Moderator's note: This is spam. Yes, you can run the utility for free but you have to pay $5.00 to have the repaired file emailed to you. )

Last edited by a moderator:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Another MOD's note: This pattern of spam is becoming increasingly common. One brand new member posts that they have a corrupted file and need a solution and, lo and behold, another brand new member just happens to come along with the URL to a solution.

Ask yourself if you really want to do business with any entity that believes the best way to get business is to trick and deceive their potential customers.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Ask yourself if you really want to do business with any entity that believes the best way to get business is to trick and deceive their potential customers.
Why I cannot even begin to to understand how spam works on anyone. Worse is the one's that sell medication. So not only are you going to give your credit card to someone that deceives others but you are going to put a drug in your body that they sell.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've often wondered just how well does it work. On the one hand the fact that it is done so much indicates that it "must" work, otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it. But on the other hand you have to wonder whether what we are actually seeing is a never ending stream of people that have been duped into thinking that it must work when, in actuality, it is THEY that are being deceived and cheated. I suspect it is a mixture of both.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sure enough -- the spammers are just blindly following their playbook. Another "new" member just posted the "solution" to the original poster's "problem" just as expected (we deleted it). Clearly they aren't even looking at the thread they are posting to (which makes sense, since it is all just a autobot anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.