Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
My girlfriend wants to go to a house blessing event. It is a two day event with many people from all over the region. She was told to bring a recent medical certificate attesting that she does not have the dreaded flu-like disease. The blessing is in two days -why do they not consider the 14 day (nominal max) icubation period during which patients may be contagious? A better method would be to put off such an event until the situation is clearly safe, but tradition dictates that the family cannot sleep in the house until after the ceremony.

And now this:
1582616289542.png

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Agreed. Until we know for sure the truth about how it is transmitted, I would stay away as by far the best option. If you go, politely decline food and water (alcohol may be relatively safe).

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
"Worried that further infections might be blamed on them, local officials all over China have been demanding that companies pass extensive reviews and even on-site inspections before they can restart production. Rules include making sure that companies provide employees with face masks, keep track of employees’ temperatures and set up hand-washing stations."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ive-for-coronavirus/ar-BB10lO9z?ocid=msedgntp

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
It's times like this that it comes in handy to be a hermit.
Actually you have a point in there. While my wife and I were working we were constantly in contact with other people. People like younger co-workers with young children who bring all sorts of bugs home from school. We were also out and about more coming in contact with many people daily. Since we retired going on 7 years ago while we do get out the number of people we actually come in any contact with is likely down 90%. We have noticed few colds and similar over the years since we retired. No longer in close quarters and proximity with people coughing and sneezing.

This latest and greatest virus is also wreaking havoc with the global financial markets and economy.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
We have noticed few colds and similar over the years since we retired.
I've been retired for 6 years and I've only been sick once; a bug my Daughter brought home. She caught something several times a year, but I managed to avoid getting sick except for that one time.

I read that a large number of Chinese companies are at risk of going out of business due to this virus.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Of the 53 confirmed cases in the US on 2 were actually infected in the US.

11:30 am: CDC confirms 53 US cases
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed 53 cases in the U.S., a majority of which came from passengers repatriated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was quarantined off the coast of Japan. The CDC updated its case count on its website late Monday. The data shows that 36 of the cases are attributed to the cruise ship, three patients were infected in Wuhan and later evacuated to the U.S. and the rest were largely infected while traveling overseas. Just two cases were contracted through person-to-person contact in the U.S., the CDC said. —Kopecki

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Or, as Warren Buffett said during the 2008/09 collapse, people are using thimbles when they should be using umbrellas to catch the downpour. Of course, dying rich is not a whole lot better than the dying poor.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/iran-...s-coronavirus-symptoms-on-live-tv-79411781752

During an address carried live on TV, Iran's deputy health minister, Iraj Harirchi, is seen aggressively wiping sweat from his brow in what turned out to be a fever caused by coronavirus COVID-19.
Didn't see it, but reminiscent of Baghdad Bob declaring ultimate victory as American tanks rolled behind him. Couldn't find any video, but for laughs:
https://www.liveabout.com/baghdad-bob-quotes-4068522

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Just before that press conference, he was in a meeting with all the top level government officials of Iran
Yes and as usual it was a plot by the US who are once again at fault and trying to destroy Iran... Or is that too political????

Makes you wonder how it got from china to iran?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.