Conveyor belt timer

memassey

Joined Jan 21, 2016
I need to control a conveyor belt. The control inputs will be a start button and a end-of-the-line sensor (the transported containers will fall into a box at the end of the belt). Upon pressing the start button, the belt will run. However, I want the belt to stop if the sensor does not get blocked in 5 minutes, or if the sensor stays blocked for more than 5 minutes. So, if the sensor keeps toggling between unblocked and blocked, the timer will be reset and the belt should continue to run.
Any ideas?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Conveyor line control sounds like a job for a PLC as thats whats commonly used in industrial control like that.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Or a simple version of a full blown PLC is a SmartRelay.
You need a couple of timers, you also have to decide how much are automatic features and how much manual intervention is needed.
Max.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
This is not a difficult problem to solve, maybe a couple of CMOS logic chips and an output driver, or a PIC, or an Arduino...

1. What is your comfort level / skill set regarding electronic circuits: wire together modules, solder chips on perf board, go all discrete semiconductors, etc?

2. What power for the control circuit?

3. What is the sensor signal: 5V/24V pulse, open collector, dry circuit relay contacts. etc?

4. What output is needed: 24V control line switch to GND, relay contacts, email message?

ak

memassey

Joined Jan 21, 2016
Easy is best - a couple of CMOS chips and relay would be ideal.
1) I am comfortable with soldering on perfboard and using discreet semiconductors. Arduino is also an option..
2) 24vdc is available.
3) The sensor output is 24vdc when blocked.
4) I forgot to mention that the start button will energize a relay with 2 sets of NO contacts (one set will be a hold circuit, one will provide power to the motor), So, the output of the new circuit could be another relay with NC contacts inserted into the existing hold line.