Conveyor belt dimensions for an automation project

Ishan Jain

Joined Nov 12, 2016
Hello folks!

I am making an industrial automation project for which I need to make a conveyor belt. So I want to know which motor I should use for the project and what should be the dimensions of the conveyor belt?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You will need to provide much, much more information. How much load on the conveyor belt? What will it be moving. The motor HP and Speed ratings will be determined by the load. The width will be determined by the product or whatever you are moving with the conveyor belt. There is quite a bit to it. The required motor will determine the power needs such as single phase or poly phase, low or high voltage? A conveyor system can be very large running a hundred or more meters or simply run 5 meters across a room.

Ron

Ishan Jain

Joined Nov 12, 2016
Thank you for your prompt reply:)

I am making a simple object detection and rejection system prototype so I will be using wooden blocks as the moving object on the conveyor belt and controlling it with arduino. Will 30 rpm motor serve my purpose? Also how can I calculate the diameter of the rollers on which the belt will m

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to start with circumference of a circle and look at your motor RPM. You have a drive pulley for your belt and one or more idler pulley(s). For example a drive pulley has a diameter of 12" so the radius is 1/2 of D or 6". Sorry, I am in the US so you get inches. Calculate the circumference C = 2π r so C = 37.7 if the pulley rotational speed is 30 RPM your belt will travel 37.7 * 30 = 1,131 inches per minute. 131 / 12 = 94.25 Ft. per min. This is the general idea. This does not account for weight on the belt or belt design. You also need to figure your object size and how you choose to scan it.

I really suggest you give this a read as there is much more to a conveyor belt project that you seem to be familiar with. There are literally dozens of types of conveyors. Read the link, it should get you started.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your conveyor system is going to depend on the application and environment etc, it would maybe advisable to come up with the mechanics first and build to suit, you could then empirically measure the torque required by the motor etc by taking Torque requirement with a simple torque wrench or spring scale etc, with the maximum product loaded on the conveyor.
The speed of conveyors is usually very low so a motor and gearbox reduction offers efficient sizing of motor.
Max.

bertz

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Hello folks!

I am making an industrial automation project for which I need to make a conveyor belt. So I want to know which motor I should use for the project and what should be the dimensions of the conveyor belt?
Perhaps this will give you some ideas if all you are designing is a prototype to demonstrate a concept.

Attachments

Ishan Jain

Joined Nov 12, 2016
You may want to start with circumference of a circle and look at your motor RPM. You have a drive pulley for your belt and one or more idler pulley(s). For example a drive pulley has a diameter of 12" so the radius is 1/2 of D or 6". Sorry, I am in the US so you get inches. Calculate the circumference C = 2π r so C = 37.7 if the pulley rotational speed is 30 RPM your belt will travel 37.7 * 30 = 1,131 inches per minute. 131 / 12 = 94.25 Ft. per min. This is the general idea. This does not account for weight on the belt or belt design. You also need to figure your object size and how you choose to scan it.

I really suggest you give this a read as there is much more to a conveyor belt project that you seem to be familiar with. There are literally dozens of types of conveyors. Read the link, it should get you started.

Ron
If I want to make a conveyor belt what are the components I will need?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Can I use 30 rpm geared motor for my project? As I don't want to move my conveyor very fast. Which are the standard motors I can use for my mini conveyor?
You were given all the data and information. a 30 RPM motor means nothing without the pulley diameter. Now if you don't understand that then I suggest a simpler project.

Ron

firstly you have to mention the load for the conveyor belt and if the project is small and the load is also not too heavy than you can use the DC gear motor its rotation is very high.