Converting Tablet to Laptop

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Why bother? You can buy a used laptop for a couple hundred dollars and it'll have much more memory and storage.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Without knowing anything about the display port hardware or protocol, my answer is "probably" but you may have a lot of trouble getting the information from the manufacturer that you will need to be able to do it. Why would you want to do that? Is the display damaged? It would probably be a lot easier to just make a laptop from a raspberry pi. Then you could put whatever display interface on it that you wanted.
Keith

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
So hello everyone I had a project in mind of transforming my old tablet to a laptop using a rasberry pi or any othet external pc board so is it possible to convert the display port of the tablets display to hdmi input?
The model of the tablet is GT-P5100
Yes.

You'll need an adapter. But you have to get the correct one. They only work in one direction.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
İts in the pictures Im not sure either Im asking you guys is it possible to convert it to hdmi output
I thought you wanted to convert a display port output to hdmi output. This can be done with and adapter.
However, If the port is designed as a hdmi output, then it CANNOT be adapted or converted to an INPUT.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Ahmet Asım said in his first posting:
"So hello everyone I had a project in mind of transforming my old tablet to a laptop using a rasberry pi or any othet external pc board so is it possible to convert the display port of the tablets display to hdmi input?"

Ahmet, I just re-read all the messages in this posting. I think I finally understand what you are asking. Let me know if this is correct: You would like to take the display section off your tablet and connect it to a raspberry pi to make a computer.
You thoroughly confused the issue by mentioning "display input port", "display output port" and "HDMI". The tablet has no video input or output port. There is just the internal interface between the tablet and it's display.
If this is what you want to do, you will need to get the interface specification from the manufacturer of the display. I doubt whether they will give it to you. If you do get it, do you have the technical and programming skills to design a custom interface to connect it to the raspberry? There will not be an off-the-shelf product to do this for you. I think your only hope is finding someone who has already built one for the same make and model as your tablet, which is very unlikely. Even if they have, it will use a propriety protocol and will definitely not be HDMI. An HDMI interface to the tablet's display would be a whole new and very complex project.
I think it's time for you to re-assess what you really want to do.
Regards,
Keith.

Last edited:

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse makes a tablet into something very like a laptop. Or, a USB OTG cable and powered hub could let you hook up wired devices (might need to root the tablet and run OTG Helper).