Converting Radio waves into D.C Electrical energy (rf to dc)

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 925 voltage multiplier.PNG
Pdf attached
Is this a correct schematic for the reference you posted?
Are component values critical? The final one about 100 nF? Would Germanium diodes be much different than Schottky?

(edited to add ...)
At 0.5 uA (5 V w/ 10 M Ohm)
Germanium (1N270) = 0.100 V
Silicon (1N4148) = 0.180 V
Schottky (1N6263) = 0.100 V

Hmmm, not much difference.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
So if the objective is to capture as much energy as possible an antenna with as broad a range as possible would be better? Like a TV antenna with multiple elements of different sizes covering VHF to UHF? Or would the voltages tend to cancel each other out?
Most of the multiple elements on a TV antenna are "directors" which make it as sensitive as possible in only one direction and practically deaf in any other.

Forget folded dipoles unless you live in the shadow of the transmitter - most RSGB/ARRL handbooks contain antenna design notes with diagrams where to put the feedpoint for voltage or current.

Threeneurons

Joined Jul 12, 2016
How far away ? 1.5V is just the voltage. Its not the power. How much current (amps, milliamps, microamps) ? What do you want to power ?

Basic electricity: Voltage is electrical pressure. Current (in amps) is the actual flow rate. Multiply the two, and you get the power you need.

I've tinkered with inductive power transfer. I made a lawn Xmas display years ago, called Propeller Santa. A stick with 32 LEDs on it that rotated to form an image. Since it spun, there could be no direct electrical connection. Power was transfered between two coils wound around ABS pipe.

Video:

Xmas Page:
https://threeneurons.wordpress.com/links/christmas-of-the-past/

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
i don't need free energy
just "Wireless Power Transmission"
Okay? I have no idea what you are after then.

You want to tap into radio waves and harvest their energy to get usable electrical power, IE electrical energy you don't have to pay for once you have the circuit working. :rolleyes:
Hello tcmtech... Can you elaborate that; I have before seen that comment and do not understand why tuning to a frequency instead of harvesting all the frequencies on the air ?
Example... barbed wire(s) fence on a farm... proper diode rectification hooked to it... a good ground... should pick up everything, from the nearby power transmission line to the faint broadcasted RF... or not ?

A tuned circuit would yield a higher current or voltage if parallel or series LC, but only at that frequency. The rest of RF is ignored, 'wasted' from harvesting ¿?
You just explained it yourself to yourself. :oops:

I don't think the TS is trying to harvest energy. I believe he wants to charge or energize wirelessly.
Uh, what? How would you describe taking ambient RF energy and converting it into usable low voltage DC power? o_O

Why any specific frequency? Why not any and all the antenna will pick up?
As others have explained as of present tech we can't tune into every frequency at once so at present we have to pick a specific frequency and tune into it to get anything workable for an output.

afm707

Joined Oct 24, 2016
How far away ? 1.5V is just the voltage. Its not the power. How much current (amps, milliamps, microamps) ? What do you want to power ?

Basic electricity: Voltage is electrical pressure. Current (in amps) is the actual flow rate. Multiply the two, and you get the power you need.

I've tinkered with inductive power transfer. I made a lawn Xmas display years ago, called Propeller Santa. A stick with 32 LEDs on it that rotated to form an image. Since it spun, there could be no direct electrical connection. Power was transfered between two coils wound around ABS pipe.

Video:

Xmas Page:
https://threeneurons.wordpress.com/links/christmas-of-the-past/
i think i can not get current more than microamps
i need the maximum current of course

afm707

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Who said he was harvesting ambient energy?

"i don't need free energy
just "Wireless Power Transmission"
i am sorry english is not my mother tongue

i think the free energy will be very small
i need to charge a battery as example

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I think this thread need some basic clarification here.

First is,

Where do you want this 'Wireless energy' power to charge the battery to come from?

Second is,

How big is this battery and how fast do you want it to recharge?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
i am sorry english is not my mother tongue

i think the free energy will be very small
i need to charge a battery as example
There's an author who contributes micropower projects to various magazines - I think the name is Thomas Scarborough, possibly from S. Africa or somewhere like that.

Collecting RF energy isn't going to get you much further than charging a supercapacitor - unless you live in the shadow of a broadcast transmitter, or have a lot of time on your hands.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The shadow is precisely that; it will have very low level RF energy :). Better to be in a major lobe of the radiation pattern.
Did you take lessons in deliberately misinterpreting what was said........................

Most broadcast transmitters don't have lobes - the whole point of broadcasting is to send the signal in *ALL* directions.