Converting Ladder Diagram

mizzatikram

Joined Jan 20, 2022
Hye Experts and fellow users,

First of all, I'm doing my own arduino project by self-learning on youtube. Right now, I'm stuck at converting my ladder diagram into a circuit in Proteus. The individual simulation of the ladder circuit worked on FLuidSim however due to my limited knowledge in electrical/electronics, I'm unable to translate the ladder diagram in Proteus.

I hope you can guide me in this matter. Thank you!

*please excuse my writing as English is not my 1st language
:)

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Your first problem will be understanding the symbols:
The "open" circles labeled M1, M2, and R are relay coils which are always in one of two possible states: energized or not
When a coil is "energized", current is flowing between the power rails 0V and +24V, and all of the normally open contacts are closed and all of the normally closed contacts are open.
When a coil is "not energized", there is no current flowing through the coil between the power rails 0V and +24V, and all of the normally open contacts are open and all of the normally closed contacts are closed.
Switches are just switches.

mizzatikram

Joined Jan 20, 2022
Your first problem will be understanding the symbols:
The "open" circles labeled M1, M2, and R are relay coils which are always in one of two possible states: energized or not
When a coil is "energized", current is flowing between the power rails 0V and +24V, and all of the normally open contacts are closed and all of the normally closed contacts are open.
When a coil is "not energized", there is no current flowing through the coil between the power rails 0V and +24V, and all of the normally open contacts are open and all of the normally closed contacts are closed.
Switches are just switches.
Yes I understand the symbols. But it's so confusing to connect them,o_O

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is mostly a matter of pattern recognition:
where a series connection of contacts is a Boolean AND function
and a parallel connection of contacts is a Boolean OR function

Example: For Coil R

R = .NOT.(M2) .AND. ( R .OR. M1 )

See the pattern?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Just a minor point, traditionally the power side is on the LH rail and the 0v or N is on the right hand side in ladder diagrams.

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hye Experts and fellow users,

First of all, I'm doing my own arduino project by self-learning on youtube. Right now, I'm stuck at converting my ladder diagram into a circuit in Proteus. The individual simulation of the ladder circuit worked on FLuidSim however due to my limited knowledge in electrical/electronics, I'm unable to translate the ladder diagram in Proteus.

I hope you can guide me in this matter. Thank you!

*please excuse my writing as English is not my 1st language
:)
I've converted the ladder diagram to relay symbols. You should be able to find equivalents in proteus.

1642698921413.png

mizzatikram

Joined Jan 20, 2022
It is mostly a matter of pattern recognition:
where a series connection of contacts is a Boolean AND function
and a parallel connection of contacts is a Boolean OR function

Example: For Coil R

R = .NOT.(M2) .AND. ( R .OR. M1 )

See the pattern?
Ahhh I see. I will try this method :) Thanks btw!

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Hi mizzatikram,

You would require relays with 4PDT contacts.

1.png

The ladder diagram is the circuit diagram.

2.png

'SW' is an SPST toggle switch and 'M1', 'M2' and 'R' are the relay coils and contacts.

The relay coil and contact terminal numbers are marked.

Nandu.

Last edited: